Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Soldiers Should Have Honor (SO) They Say... Wrong!

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM
  • 32 Replies

I was fooled. My ex-husband and I were separated for a while, then later divorced in 2010. After finding out that he fathered another kid while we were married. Before the divorce he said that he was medically discharged from the military (back injury). When we divorced, we split everything down the middle. He and I both just had regular jobs paying about the same and each a vehicle. Everything went smooth. Until... In 2011, when he didn't show up to a scheduled court hearing. He then faxed over a copy of Military orders (deployment). So needless to say he wasn't showing up. I found out later that he had never been medically discharged, never did he take a break from the military and yes you guessed it he LIED on the divorce papers! He has been in the military since 1991 and we were married for 11 years. I contacted his commander and even someone from the JAG department. No help! I thought the military would be more supportive. Who should I talk to or how do I go about dealing with this? I know a lawyer but I have been looking for one in (Minnesota) that knows about Military Law. Should I take him back to court? Oh by the way when I asked my ex-husband about all this he stated... "I didn't have to disclose military income, benefits, pension information during the divorce process" and "the kid thing just happen". HELP me if you can!

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:47 PM
What are you taking him to court for?
KidsTea3
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:50 PM

At the time of our divorce he stated that he was not in the Military. I found out that he was on active duty in the Military during our divorce.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:52 PM
How was he able to have a regular job if he was AD?
Soniam301
by Sonia on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM
what exactly do you want? why not move on and live your life without him in it?
KidsTea3
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I am sorry I meant he was actively in the military.

SusanD
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:03 PM

So when you got a divorce, you didn't request that his income be verified or anything? He didn't present a pay stub or any kind of proof of his income?

Do you still have a child at home? How old are your children?

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this
You said at the time of your divorce, you both had regular jobs that paid about the same. So he didn't have a regular job but you thought he did? I guess I'm not sure what difference it makes if he lied or not. Does he owe you money? The military will not help you since it's a civil matter.

Quoting KidsTea3:

I am sorry I meant he was actively in the military.

cholita1978
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:11 PM
It seems like he tricked you, after 10 years of marriage if you divorce after that you are entitle to half his benefits and pension when he retires, a JAG gives advice only and to military and their spouses, sorry to say this but since you're divorced they could care less. I would say do some research maybe you can take him back to court, but its gonna cost you
KidsTea3
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM

When we got divorced we were on good terms and I did see him at his place of employment. So I thought he was telling the truth during the divorce to the judge, me and on the divorce papers.

We have 2 children together, that live with me(ages: 8 and 16). He also has another child he fathered while we were married (age: 4).

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Sorry. Shitty personalities do not discriminate. People in the military can be assholes too. I hope you find the answers you need. Your ex husband sounds like a real winner. Be glad you're rid of him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)