Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

retired

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:27 AM
  • 9 Replies
my husband is dropping his retirement paperwork next week. he's been in the army (infantry) for 24 years. he keeps saying he is going to be glad to get out of the army, and I believe him to a point. But I also think he is going to feel a little out of sorts. I can only imagine doing something for 24 years and then just stopping has to have some sort if effect on someone. is anyone else's husband retired or close to it? are they doing ok with it?
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM

DH dropped his letter a few months ago- his official retirement date is OCT 1, he goes on terminal leave June 15th.

we are so ready for this to be over, to start the next chapter of your lives, of him being home, no more deployments, no more last minute schools or trainings.

Right now I am not scared only excited!!

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Dh won't retire before 26 - if then. He's at almost 22. Even then, he will transition into a contracting or gs job doing something similar that will require extensive travel.

I guess we won't know if it's very different until we're in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HarrisonMD
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:31 AM

It will be 24 years for us too this November! We're hoping to get a few more years in depending on promotion, so we'll see...Good Luck to you guys! It's a big change!

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM

He put in for retirement and was asked to stay on a little while longer for a couple of other transitions.  The plan is for him to do his job as a civilian after he retires and he's looking forward to it.

CountryStrong84
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM
I know IM excited, lol. I get to move back home! I've enjoyed being where we are, but I've got to get back to Alabama!

Quoting gunsgirl:

DH dropped his letter a few months ago- his official retirement date is OCT 1, he goes on terminal leave June 15th.

we are so ready for this to be over, to start the next chapter of your lives, of him being home, no more deployments, no more last minute schools or trainings.

Right now I am not scared only excited!!

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Dh has a little less than 4 years left. We like to think about it though, lol.
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM

DH has been out for 3 months (but he had terminal leave since Jan) and he doesn't miss it one little bit. He went right into a similarly demanding job, though, so I think that helped. 

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Next year for us.  He is done and is happy to be done.  We're looking forward to the next stage, where ever that may be...

NotTheirMom99
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Mine retired in 2009.  It was a little weird at first because he had sooooo much free time on his hands.  Once he started college, it seemed to level back out. 

Does your DH have plans?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)