Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

*Tricare rant*

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this
Ok so I have been getting some awful headaches and I have already been to the Dr. about them. Well I have had another headache for a week non-stop sometimes its manageable and sometimes I get nauseous. So anyway I call to make an appt. today and the lady says she can't get me in until the 13th of August ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? Im upset that people are always like yeah you have it made with tricare its free blah blah blah.. ummm no its not my husband still pays for it and they wanna increase the prices. Sorry to go on it just made me so mad. OAN: The LT. just called back as I was writing this and has an opening tomorrow thank goodness!
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Glad you can get in!  9 times out 10, they don't have any appts at all.  I usually have to go to the Urgent Care but they can't help for ongoing issues like this (for me it's my thyroid).  You can always go standard and go out in town.  But as the head of pediatrics yelled at me once "Go ahead but none of the good drs will accept Tricare"...yikes!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM
If your husband is active duty and on tricare prime, no he does not pay for it.

Sorry you're having a hard time
violinjewel
by Julia on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
That's why we would always use Standard. We're on Tricare Reserve Select, (the Standard version of it) and never have a problem getting appointments. To the the previous reply of not getting a good doctor with Tricare, that's complete BS. We've never settled for a mediocre doctor, and never will, especially when our kid's health relies on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kce2013
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM
oh I thought technically you still paid in some way? I don't really know all the ins and outs of the military yet:)

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM
No. You don't even pay for standard. You have to pay deductibles and copays but with prime there's nothing but copay on scripts and *some* services.

You pay monthly for dental and its not mandatory to have.

Quoting kce2013:

oh I thought technically you still paid in some way? I don't really know all the ins and outs of the military yet:)

Quoting Anonymous:

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I am on standard and had to make an appointment 3 weeks in advance. it is not just base cliinics.

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:34 PM
3 moms liked this

Yeah, he's paying for it.  A deduction doesn't come from his paycheck but it's a benefit that is considered when joining compared to the amount of money they make.  In other words, I would expect a higher salary without that.

Quoting kce2013:

Quoting Anonymous:

kce2013
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:34 PM
yeah im not one to go to the Dr. unless I really have to so I figured I ll stick with a base dr. but my son does go off base to a pediatrician. I just hope we figure out whats going on because a friend of mine was like better go in it could be a brain tumor and scared me.
kce2013
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM
My dad was navy so we grew up on tricare and always went on base to the dr. and it was like this back then you always had to call a month in advance

Quoting gunsgirl:

I am on standard and had to make an appointment 3 weeks in advance. it is not just base cliinics.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh good grief.

You know for a fact some wives think there is some mystery deduction on their les for tricare.

And I don't consider your defintion as paying for it. Is it a benefit? Yes. But I wouldn't get to comfy with it. Tricare changes are coming and don't think for one second they'll raise pay when they happen.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Yeah, he's paying for it.  A deduction doesn't come from his paycheck but it's a benefit that is considered when joining compared to the amount of money they make.  In other words, I would expect a higher salary without that.

Quoting kce2013:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN