Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

has anyone gone back to school?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 10 Replies
So we will be pcs to CA jan 1st for a 4 year term. We have a 2 yr old and I currently am working full time now. Now that we will be at a unit for a long time I want to go back to school to finish my nursing degree. Has anyone gone back to school while having young kids and AD hubby. I don't want to use his post 911. So how did u afford it? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheartAH
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:49 PM
MyCAA and CAA paid for my AAS (E5 and below associate degrees). I qualified for full financial aid/pell grant for my first year in the BS (E6 and I work full time) and hopefully I'll qualify next year too. I also applied for about 50 different personal scholarships though the school and got chosen for 1 but I won't need it with the financial aid.
So my advice is to call the schools financial aid office and ask.
Btw my kids are 8&3.

Quoting Tigger0421:

So we will be pcs to CA jan 1st for a 4 year term. We have a 2 yr old and I currently am working full time now. Now that we will be at a unit for a long time I want to go back to school to finish my nursing degree. Has anyone gone back to school while having young kids and AD hubby. I don't want to use his post 911. So how did u afford it? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
usmclife58
by Nikki on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Yep, I am in school after taking a break. Pell Grant, MYCAA, scholarships... The school will have a financial advisor to help you find what you need.

NorCalMom09
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM

My husband wasn't in the Army yet, but I did go back to school when my daughter was 2 years old and he was working full time at a bank. I went 4 nights a week for 5 hours a night for 14 months. And I was working part time at a photography studio & then restaurant. I'm in California as well. We had family to help us with watching our DD though

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Roughest two years of my life, but I came out the other side better for it.

I got pregnant with my daughter my first year back at college, right after I got out of the Navy. I didn't quit going to school, and started my summer semester online one week after she was born.  A year later I started x-ray school, with an 18 month old, and had class and clinicals, but didn't work. My second year, with an 18 month old, I went to clinicals M/W/F 7am-3:30pm, class T/Th 8am-2pm then to work (Wednesday too) 3:00pm-11:30pm. I also worked Saturday and Sunday from 3-11:30. My husband nearly divorced me. He tried to get me to quit, all of the time, and constantly bitched that I was never home and that he had to do everything. I, myself, nearly went insane from exhaustion. It was worth it in the end though. 

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Search online for scholarships!  You would be really surprised at how many are available.  Look at the school's website for scholarships that are only available to students of that school as well.  THe smaller the application pool, the better your chances.

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I just started but I am using mycaa for my personal training cert. I will be using my tuition waiver and GI bill because I am national guard for my doctorates. My husband is AD and will be just transferring his GI bill to our son. I suggest looking for scholarships, mycaa, talking to financial advisors.

Diverwife84
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:40 AM
I'm an RN, went through school married with a 4 year old. I used my own GI Bill from when I was in. A lot of the ladies I went to school with lived off of student loans to survive. I am now back in school but doing on-line courses towards a Masters and all I can say is thank god for online! lol.
You'll find a way just go for it! Good Luck! I hope it all works out.
cocoroo
by Coco on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:16 AM

I'm going back to school in the fall and I'm going to use FAFSA and his GI Bill.  We will have to end up paying for some of it.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Good luck!

Dani_Lynn
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I went back to school after I left my XH and had an 18 month old.  I just applied for a program and am waiting to hear if I was accepted.  I'm almost looking 40 in the eye and I have two kids.  We have paid off the majority of our debt.  I am doing what I can to remain where I am working on the days I don't have class (we're already understaffed, 3 more are leaving and there's a hiring freeze) and will use student loans.  My kids are in school so hopefully that will reduce our child care costs as hopefully, I'll only need before or after instead of both.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)