Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Hope

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

Not sure if this is the right place, but,,,My son, a few months out of boot camp, stationed in Louisiana, has no transportation, eats at the chow hall, when they are opened. I worry that maybe he's not eating, or just being lonely being by himself. I'm having trouble not being able to do anything to make his life easier. I guess I am looking for any suggestions, to help me, help make his stay there a little better..

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

His best chance is to make friends....friends with vehicles, LOL.  Or buy a bike.  Even when the chow hall isn't open, there are usually little shops around base that you can pick up a few things if you are hungry.  Being straight out of boot camp is a lot like your first semester in college, you eat a lot of junk and learn to adapt to life without your parents to take care of everything for you :) He is likely living in barracks with 200 other kids his age.  I doubt he is lonely.  Homesick, maybe, but not lonely.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM

If he has internet or the MWR office is close by, tell him to check that out.  They typically sponser fun outings on the weekends, especially during summer.  Around here they do things like discounted sporting event tickets, kayaking trips, softball tournaments, and a lot of times offer transportation.

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM

The advice above is really on target.  You can't make his life better or easier--he has to do this for himself, but he will also have to put himself out there a little bit. 

border7305
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Hi and welcome to the group I am a MM I'm Kim don't worry he is eating just find and he will be making new friends real soon the other guys are just testing him right now and it will just take a few checks an he will be able to get him self a car. But being a true mom you are going to worry about him for awhile until you know that he is on the right track that is normal. I hope this help a little bit, Just fell Proud that you raised a great son, That well trun into a great man. You have a nice day, MM Kim
vdpfing1231
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I'm sure he made plenty of friends in boot camp and now that everyone has gone to their first duty stations its like switching schools. He needs time and so do you, adjusting to military life is hard for both the service member and their families. But I know it probably makes him feel good to know you still think about him and support him in his decision. :)
mlogsdon
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 4:40 PM
My husbands first duty station was in Louisiana ;-) before he met me he just made friends with people that had cars lol. There's also always something within walking distance, and tons of delivery! I'm sure he's fine ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM
I'm sure he's fine.
NorCalMom09
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Send him a care package! :)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 28, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Hugs and good luck!  These ladies have some good thoughts:)

TeresaMR
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Thank you all so much, it really helps, I do feel ill better, lol. Wonderful ideas for me to pass on to him..activities and such, and care package is on its way....:-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN