Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Moving entitlements, extra money?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
We are moving in about 8 weeks. About a month ago I had to quit my job so I am no longer employed. Shortly after both of our cars conviently needed expensive repairs at the same time so we blew through most of our savings. Is dla, tle, and per diem enough money? Should I be scrambling to do some side job to save up for our move?

I hate not having a decent savings and its bothering me even more now knowing we are moving. Are all the moving entitlements enough money? Is there anything extra we should be financially prepared for?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JMmama
by Kara on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:28 AM
We have never had a problem with per diem, dla, etc covering moving expenses. However, you should be prepared to pay for your expenses up front and be reimbursed.
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:45 AM

you never ever want to count TLE into the amount you will get as a moving allowance as this is a "use it or lose" allowance. In other words you MUST show receipts for the lodging portion and are only given the actual amount of the lodging, and the food portion is pretty small and tho a flat rate amount will barely cover the costs to eat out every day.

the DLA will help cover some costs of moving into a new place but if your renting and you need first last and security- it will not be enough

the per diem - if used wisely can result in a little pocket cash, depending on the number of dependents you can bank a little every day..

the MALT is minimal- and most if not all will go to gasing the cars- so usually there is not any room for banking his allowance.

IMO unless your moving into GOV housing you should have at least 2,000 dollars in savings to PCS.

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:16 AM

if you don't feel comfortable then save and do a few side jobs. We usually pay up front for everything, then claim our travel. and you know, travel pay can take its time making it into your account. Nothing wrong with trying to save up as much as you can! Good luck! I always feel comfortable with at least $3500 saved up for travelling expenses (especially if you're going to be living off base and have to do security deposit, and 1st month's rent). 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Yep.  This.

Quoting JMmama:

We have never had a problem with per diem, dla, etc covering moving expenses. However, you should be prepared to pay for your expenses up front and be reimbursed.

carlyshort
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM
During any finance breifing I got,we were told the allowances given only cover 80% of the move.

That you should prepare to pay some of the move and a savings is highly recommended.

If you're able to move right into housing ( which is rare) then the allowances will cover closer to 100%

Expect to pay out of pocket. 8 weeks is still a few paychecks. I would tty to save 600 or so from all remaining pays.
thin.n.thick1
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 4:49 PM

He needs to get everything turned into Trasportation as early as he can. You might not get most of the money on time, but you should get the DLA and Per Diem, Just Make SURE he set up the correct bank account for the Travel EFT and Miscellanious EFT on his Mypay, if someone is taking care of him he should of already done it, but doesnt hurt to double check. Are you moving yourself or are they moving you? He might not be able to goto Trasp. until he gets to a certain part of his clearing, that is final arrangments. If you want to, see if you can goto some of his clearing appointments with im so you can ask these questions yourself, or goto the ACS building and see what info they have for you. Message me if you have some other questions please.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM
They told us to use the GTC for any of our per diem/malt expenses and told us that we could get our DLA in advance deposited in our account. I'm more worried about any of the incidentals and unexpected expenses that come up with moving.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:29 PM

You should have money saved up just in case. We had to pay housing rent before our bah kicked in. We did get back bah, but we had to pay out of pocket upfront. Then they shorted us $200+ of the back bah. We will get that back, but it will be out of pocket until then. We are also having to wait 3-6 weeks for the travel voucher money. A few people I know have dealt with finance losing there paperwork and having to re-file. 1 had to re-file 3 times because they lost their paperwork twice. Your best bet is to be prepared and save up money just in case something goes wrong. 

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Make sure the PCs orders allow use of the government credit card. My DH's orders stated that he was NOT allowed to use it during our PCS. We are having to use some savings as we had to pay for gas driving from VA to CA.

Quoting Anonymous:

They told us to use the GTC for any of our per diem/malt expenses and told us that we could get our DLA in advance deposited in our account. I'm more worried about any of the incidentals and unexpected expenses that come up with moving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)