Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Navy Mom?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies

I'm considering going into the Navy. I am going to talk to a recruiter later in the week. I have three small children and my fiance and I are not yet married. I am pretty sure we will need to get married before I enlist but I'm not sure about the family size policy. I have read that they don't normally accept families with more than two children but what are the reasons that they would. Any advice? Thank you, and thank you all for your service!

**Update**

What about the Army? Are the policies the same? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:17 PM

you cannot join as a single parent- you will have too be married to join and will need a dependent waiver to join the navy. If you do not need any other type of waiver and have a college degree you might get in.

def talk to a recruiter and be completely honest with him or her.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM

You have too many dependents. The Navy has really cracked down, a waiver will be hard to get. You have too many children already, and then your fiance, when he becomes your husband, will make 4 dependents. 

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM

You would need to get married to prevent having to give up custody of your children as a single parent. By getting married, however, you've gained another dependent. Your best bet is to talk to the recruiter. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:43 PM

You need a college degree just to be recruited? It says on the website that generally speaking you must be a high school graduate or have a GED or equivalent.

Quoting gunsgirl:

you cannot join as a single parent- you will have too be married to join and will need a dependent waiver to join the navy. If you do not need any other type of waiver and have a college degree you might get in.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I think what she means is that if you have a college degree, (bachelors or masters), you can come in as an officer instead of enlisted. They may have different dependent requirements.

Quoting Anonymous:

You need a college degree just to be recruited? It says on the website that generally speaking you must be a high school graduate or have a GED or equivalent.

Quoting gunsgirl:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:52 PM

We will get married before I go. I'm mostly curious about the dependents. What is the reason that you can only have 2 dependents? Could you accept the same amount of pay as a person with less dependents?

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

You would need to get married to prevent having to give up custody of your children as a single parent. By getting married, however, you've gained another dependent. Your best bet is to talk to the recruiter. 

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM

i think the Army is really cracking down on # of dependents as well and 4 is pretty high for joining...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Thanks for the quick responses!!

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

We will get married before I go. I'm mostly curious about the dependents. What is the reason that you can only have 2 dependents? Could you accept the same amount of pay as a person with less dependents?

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

It's not just about pay, but also about housing, medical coverage...
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Your spouse is considered to be a dependent, so you would have 4. The reason for dependent requirements is financial. You don't negotiate pay in the military. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN