Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Devastated Soldier Comes Home to Find His Dog Was Given Away While He Was at War

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM
  • 17 Replies

Devastated Soldier Comes Home to Find His Dog Was Given Away While He Was at War

by Kiri Blakeley

With friends like these, who needs enemies?!! Army First Lieutenant Brandon Harker returned from deployment in Afghanistan eager to reunite with his golden labrador, Oakley, whom he's raised since he was a puppy. We've all seen those dog reunion videos on YouTube, so no doubt Harker was looking forward to one tail-wagging, happy pooch. Only when he went to his friend's house to pick up his dog -- Oakley was gone! Says Harker:

My friend who was supposed to be watching him just told me, "I got rid of him" ... They never gave me any other explanation. He would say, "I don’t know who we gave him to" and "I don’t know their phone number." I just want him back.

WHAT?! That is just despicable. Now Harker is on a desperate search to be reunited with his faithful friend.

Heartbroken Harker started by placing an ad on Seattle Craigslist. It went:

I just recently returned from a 9 month deployment. And upon arrival back into the area I found out my yellow labrador retriever was either given away or sold while I was gone ... I am just trying to get him back to me since he was wrongfully given away or sold with out my permission while I was deployed. I will also be able to verify the dog is mine because he is micro-chipped and registered to me.

Awful. AWFUL. Who is the so-called friend who would do this to another friend? It's not like Harker took off on some freewheeling cross-country road trip and irresponsibly left his dog behind. He was serving the country. No doubt the friend knew that.

If he felt afterward that he wasn't up for taking care of the dog, then fine. Contact your friend, who presumably can Skype or email. Ask if there are other options. Contact the friend's friends or family. Contact a shelter! Surely someone would have come forward to foster a soldier's dog.

But this asswipe gave the dog away or sold it and doesn't even remember to whom?!! Harker must be beside himself with worry. He trusted his friend to take care of his dog buddy, and his friend turned out to be a douche.

Let's all help him get his precious pooch back!

Do you have pets?

Have you ever had to leave them with others due to a move?

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I really hate these writers.  Really hate them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM

why would a friend even do that? makes no sense to me at all.

If someone did give his dog away, i would get the police involved, especially if the person sold the dog.

I hope he gets his dog back.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Quoting jas_momof2:

Is there more to the story?

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:19 AM

shitty. ass. friend. who would do that!?!? if you decide you cannot care for the dog, you talk to your friend and find a family member or something the owner knows to watch the dog. You don't just give him away!

I WOULD BE PISSED

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I don't know.  Obviously this isn't a news story.  It's a blog about a news story.  Big difference and I hate blogs about news stories because it's bias.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jas_momof2:

violinjewel
by Julia on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Quoting jas_momof2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Here are the news stories I found, instead of blogs.  :)

Soldier turns to Craigslist to find dog given away while he served overseas

Lewis-McChord soldier pleads for dogs safe return

Quoting jas_momof2:

I don't know.  Obviously this isn't a news story.  It's a blog about a news story.  Big difference and I hate blogs about news stories because it's bias.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jas_momof2:

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Thank you :)

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Here are the news stories I found, instead of blogs.  :)

Soldier turns to Craigslist to find dog given away while he served overseas

Lewis-McChord soldier pleads for dogs safe return

Quoting jas_momof2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jas_momof2:

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM

how sad.  What a friend.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM

If he's microchiped.... shouldn't it be easy to find him? Don't get me wrong the "friend" in the story is a douche, but seriously, isn't that microchipping is for?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN