Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advance pay/bah?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies

We just got short notice orders and we are moving in a couple weeks. Is taking out an advance pay really that bad of an idea? What about a bah advance?

The housing wait list at our next base is 8 weeks. We arent sure if we will pay for TLF for that time or just look off base. We havent had enough time to research all our options yet. Everyone is teliing us that taking out those advances is a bad idea. I know that we have to pay it back and can easily do so. My husbands reenlistment bonus is actually going to come in at some point right after we move so we could pay it right back then instead of paying it monthly. 

Has anyone ever gotten an advance of pay or BAH? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Yes. It is bad. I would avoid doing it at all costs.

Get advances on dla.

Use the travel card

But don't ever request an advance on pay or bah.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Also, don't spend money you don't have in hand. ( the bonus)
usmc0351wife
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Just take the advance travel pay as it is always more than enough to cover the travel plus any rent that you will need to pay til the new BaH rate kicks in. You will still turn in all your travel expenses papers and more than likely will receive a per diem back as well after he checks in. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:44 AM
You can also get advances on per diem and malt. They can advance up to 80% of the total.
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:49 AM

taking them is not a bad idea per se, but being able to pay it back starting a month after you PCS is the big question, with recent rule changes you can only take 1 month advance of EITHER BAH or pay. ( cannot take both any more)

and you are required to pay it back in 12 monthly installments. if you can pay the monthly installments easily then go ahead and take the advance,

if you cannot then plan on using the PCS advance and the GTC when you can.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Also, don't spend money you don't have in hand. ( the bonus)

Thats easy to say normally, but we got 3 weeks notice of a PCS with no housing available on the other end. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. It is bad. I would avoid doing it at all costs.

Get advances on dla.

Use the travel card

But don't ever request an advance on pay or bah.

Can I ask what the big deal is if we are paying it back? I just dont understand why everyone is acting like it is the worst thing ever. I just want to make sure we have all the facts before we figure this out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Quoting usmc0351wife:

Just take the advance travel pay as it is always more than enough to cover the travel plus any rent that you will need to pay til the new BaH rate kicks in. You will still turn in all your travel expenses papers and more than likely will receive a per diem back as well after he checks in. 

It would be enough for the PCS but not 8 weeks of hotel. Plus if we go off base it wont pay for hotel while we look, then our securty depost/1st months rent which may come up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:03 AM
we have taken advance pay for every single move we've had and have never had an issue. but it also was never a hardship for us to pay it back.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Quoting gunsgirl:

taking them is not a bad idea per se, but being able to pay it back starting a month after you PCS is the big question, with recent rule changes you can only take 1 month advance of EITHER BAH or pay. ( cannot take both any more)

and you are required to pay it back in 12 monthly installments. if you can pay the monthly installments easily then go ahead and take the advance,

if you cannot then plan on using the PCS advance and the GTC when you can.

We could. We dont have a lot of bills so even if we did pay it back monthly instead of a lump sum it wouldnt be an issue. Our savings is modest but not enough for 8 weeks of hotel, kwim? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)