Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Grocery shopping

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM
  • 42 Replies

Where do you go?  Do you get everything in one store?

Being overseas for 8 years, we relied on the commissary for the majority of our food shopping.  Although we [haha - me] did go off base for some things.  Now that we're back in the States I shop at the commissary and Kroger (the only other grocery store other than Walmart here).  I find that with the Kroger card and specials they run, I can get things cheaper than the commissary.

However, shopping at two stores is exhausting.

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM
3 moms liked this

Can you guess what I did today?  lol

mlogsdon
by Mary on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Mostly commissary. Which means I am not doing any shopping today ;-) I try to shop on off weeks to avoid payday nonsense.

We do also have trader joes, winco, Safeway, walmart, Fred Meyer... I'm sure there are others. But I do most of the shopping at the commissary. I live on post so it's the most convenient.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:49 PM
I shop at Wal-Mart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Ours is really pricey...  Or maybe it's just me and not wanting to go there.  Maneuvering the cart around the homeless laying in the aisles can be a pain.

Quoting usmclife58:

I shop at Wal-Mart.

krys1025
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM
The nearest commissary is about 30min from me so I usually go to Walmart which is 10 min away or if I need something quick I go to food lion around the corner.

I save more at the commissary buying hate the crowd and the drive especially if I get stuck in traffic!
UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM

we are nowhere near a commissary. I used to do all my grocery shopping there when we lived on base. Now because we aren't near a base, we do Wal-Mart for our big shopping, but I do buy bulk at Costco, and also shop at a store called Aldi's. To be able to buy a gallon of whole milk at $2.49 here is a huge blessing. My kids and I love milk!

MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM
I shop at the commissary, fresh&easy, and target. I coupon and have saved a ton of money, I don't leave my house without my coupons.
violinjewel
by Julia on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM
We go to Target and Costco.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Depends where I'm at, mostly the commissary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I feel that way about the commissary. Which is why I don't go there, lol! But our options are WM, the Comm, and Food Lion. Unless I want to drive 20-30 minutes to Harris Teeter.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Ours is really pricey...  Or maybe it's just me and not wanting to go there.  Maneuvering the cart around the homeless laying in the aisles can be a pain.

Quoting usmclife58:

I shop at Wal-Mart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)