Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

OT: Do You Buy Your Kids Birthday Presents?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:47 AM
  • 14 Replies

I Am Done Buying Birthday Presents for My Kids

by Sasha Brown-Worsham 

birthday presentsMy son is going to turn 5 tomorrow, and on Sunday, we will have a big party for him, replete with 20 little friends, a giant bounce house, a water slide, multiple pizzas, favors for all his little friends, and a homemade cake. Every year it seems like my kids' parties get bigger and bigger and I have no problem doing it. I like making the birthday boy and birthday girl feel special, but that's it. That's the present.

My husband and I disagree on this. I am a big believer in the idea that kids are really spoiled in general today and my kids are no exception. They have things thrown at them so often that it's nearly impossible for them to have any real gratitude.

And this is why I have decided to be done with birthday presents.

Every year my kids get something huge from their grandparents (an iPad or a trip or a giant plastic castle), and my children have a playroom that is roughly 500 square feet and is filled to the brim with toys, toys, and more toys. They don't need more toys.

This year I told my husband enough. For my daughter's birthday in January, she got a big birthday party and a membership to the American Museum of Natural History. This year, for my son's, he will get his party and maybe tickets to a Broadway show or something else of his choosing. From now on, my kids are getting experiences rather than gifts.

Maybe it's because I spent all of last weekend going through their clutter. Or maybe it's because I truly believe a life attached to "things" isn't a very good life at all. Or maybe it's because my husband and I stopped giving gifts and started giving experiences about 10 years ago.

Whatever the reason, I am about done.

That doesn't mean there won't be gifts. Oh I am sure my son will get many from his friends (though next year, I would love to see him donate to charity instead, but we'll see). He has gifts from aunts and uncles and grandparents. But from us, he will get a birthday cake, a giant water slide, a party, and tickets. He will also get a whole lot of love. But he gets that every day.

I may be a Scrooge mom here, but my kids have too much stuff. What they need are more experiences. So that's what they'll get.

Happy fifth birthday baby boy. I love you. And I am sure one less Lego set isn't going to be missed.

Do you get your kids birthday presents?

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Again, where do you get these people? 

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I also give my children experiences for their birthdays. I have a substantial extended family, who always seem to lavish gifts upon my children (even my adult children) for no occasion at all and go over the top for special occasions.

We prefer to take them places so they can experience new things rather than to hit up our local  Best Buy or Toys R Us.

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
eh. i try to get them a gift, but if it doesn't happen, they won't notice (at least not yet). they get a family party and i do food, cake, and decorations and then I don't have much money left for a gift. If I do, awesome. If not, oh well. They get TONS of presents from family. They don't even care or notice who these gifts are from so it's not like they're going to be like, "Well, Mom. I got a gift from this person, this person, and this one, but nothing from you..." and hold out their hand for more crap. lol. I mean, maybe in a few years, but as of right now, they don't notice. And I'm sure that when the times comes, they can choose whether they want a big party with friends, or a small immediate family party with a small gift.
TippyD
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM

yeah, birthdays we go all out for our kids. that is THEIR day. they get spoiled

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Some years my kids parties were very expensive and that was their gift. On years of no parties of course they got a gift. Speaking of, I just shelled out $269 for a pair of Lebrons? Nike shoes for my 16 yo birthday gift. WTH!

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Yes, my kids get presents. Experiences are part of our life. Being in a military family, my kids have had more life experiences than anyone they know! 

mlogsdon
by Mary on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM
I give presents. My family tradition is that on their actual birthday they get a few gifts, and a "birthday dinner" of their choosing. Then a party with friends usually on the weekend.

Since mine turns two actually tomorrow, I'm not doing anything crazy. A few new cars to play with, a cupcake to destroy, and grilling out with a few friends and their kids. I don't expect to do crazy huge parties.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
violinjewel
by Julia on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM
This! Last year, I wasn't up for throwing a birthday party, so after we got our camping trailer, we took them camping.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Again, where do you get these people? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

She complains about spoiled children now days, while on the other hand gives them a huge expensive party? Come on!

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Giving little ones a cupcake or small personal cake to destroy are my favorite! You have to take pictures and share!

Quoting mlogsdon:

I give presents. My family tradition is that on their actual birthday they get a few gifts, and a "birthday dinner" of their choosing. Then a party with friends usually on the weekend.

Since mine turns two actually tomorrow, I'm not doing anything crazy. A few new cars to play with, a cupcake to destroy, and grilling out with a few friends and their kids. I don't expect to do crazy huge parties.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)