Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Obamacare and tricare

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

Last night I was at birthday party and another military wife and I were talking about healthcare. She said that even active duty service members will have to get obamacare even though we have tricare through the military for being active. Now, my understanding on this we will not have to pay for obamacare because we do have health care through my husbands employer, the military. She went on to say everyone even the ones with insurance from their jobs will still have to get Obamacare or pay the fines..... So, tell me, will the military have to so pay for obamacare too???

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM
3 moms liked this
I don't think anyone knows the full fallout of Obamacare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this

no, we are already on a gov funded  insurance plan and will not be required to get different insurance.

however everyone will PAY for Obama Care because we pay taxes, pay out of pocket for RX's, those on standard will see higher out of pocket costs and Retirees will have higher premiums and tricare reserve select may see an increase in premiums.

SusanD
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM
3 moms liked this
Obamacare isn't a type of insurance ,it's a mandate requiring that you have insurance.
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM
3 moms liked this
:::facepalm::: Did she read that on the internet? lol
Katkinson
by Kristin on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I don't think so.  From what I understand, if you are satisfied with your healthcare plan, you do not need to switch or pay fines.  I thought it wouldn't affect people who already had healthcare plans in place and were satisfied with said plans. . . but I could be wrong. 

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I thought the same...but of course we will not know for sure until 2014 kicks .

Quoting Katkinson:

I don't think so.  From what I understand, if you are satisfied with your healthcare plan, you do not need to switch or pay fines.  I thought it wouldn't affect people who already had healthcare plans in place and were satisfied with said plans. . . but I could be wrong. 

karla41164
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Sounds like she has no idea as to what she is talking about!

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM

The Affordable Care Act requires states to set up exchanges for the non-insured to buy health insurance.  If you already have insurance through your employer (including TriCare) then you do not have to buy insurance through your state exchange.  If you do not like your employer's plan, you can elect not to pay for insurance from your employer and buy health insurance through the state exchange.  If you do not have insurance through your employer, and do not buy health insurance through the state exchange, then you will be fined. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Yeah, I'm with these ladies...don't think she heard right or maybe she heard the wrong information.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

I don't think anyone knows the full fallout of Obamacare.

i was going to say no, but after reading some of the fineprint, i think we are all fucked..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)