Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Fast overseas move! Questions!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

We just got to this base in May, and now we just got orders to Germany. We are tentatively leaving here at the end of November right around Thanksgiving. 

I am freaking out and SO SO SO excited! 

Do we get any extra money when PCSing overseas vs stateside? Do we get anything upfront besides DLA? 

What do most of you do about your cars? We are selling one and shipping the other. We havent had a chance to look up where the closest shipment place is, but we will obviously be without any car for a while. Do you all rent a car? Im worried about finances with such short notice, so I dont see how renting a car is affordable. Do they give my husband perdiem/malt to drive the car to the closest shipping port. 

Where can I find the shipping port?

How much money should we have saved for an overseas move? We have about $2500 in savings now, but I feel like an overseas move will have lots of out of pocket expenses. Should I be worried about this?

I have a bunch more questions that Im forgetting lol. Im sure I will be back here editing this with more in a bit. 

Any advice? We literally just found out this afternoon!

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM

unfortunately you are given far less money to go over seas. your flight is paid for and one day of per diem for food. and DLA- that's it.

once your there you can get TLA if you need to stay in a hotel when you arrive, but you are paid dollar for dollar for the room and a flat rate for food for each person.

the rental car will be out of pocket.

for per diem to get to the nearest one- they will not pay per diem unless it is more than 400 miles away, but you can get 53 cents a mile for gas.

if you have pets - the cost to get them to germany will also be out of pocket.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Quoting gunsgirl:

unfortunately you are given far less money to go over seas. your flight is paid for and one day of per diem for food. and DLA- that's it.

once your there you can get TLA if you need to stay in a hotel when you arrive, but you are paid dollar for dollar for the room and a flat rate for food for each person.

the rental car will be out of pocket.

for per diem to get to the nearest one- they will not pay per diem unless it is more than 400 miles away, but you can get 53 cents a mile for gas.

if you have pets - the cost to get them to germany will also be out of pocket.

Thank you for the info. 

Is the one day of perdiem supposed to be for the day we are flying?

Is there a certain amount of money that you suggest we have saved up for an overseas move?

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:44 PM

the per diem is for the day of the flight. and it usually is not the full amount-

with what you have in savings and the DLA that should be enough, unless your going to live off base, and then you might need more.

I would suggest sending your car way way ahead and live with one car until right before you leave. it is alot easier to get around before leaving, than it is after arriving at the new duty station.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Quoting gunsgirl:

the per diem is for the day of the flight. and it usually is not the full amount-

with what you have in savings and the DLA that should be enough, unless your going to live off base, and then you might need more.

I would suggest sending your car way way ahead and live with one car until right before you leave. it is alot easier to get around before leaving, than it is after arriving at the new duty station.

Is there a trick to selling our second car right before we leave? We don't have a carmax locally. I have an annuity that I could cash some out of but I don't want to do that unless its truly needed. If we had more notice we could have saved a decent amount!
krys1025
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM
If you choose not to sell your car the govt pays to store one car while your overseas. You should get COLA while living overseas just check it out online and see if Germany does. We didn't get to ship a car when we moved to Japan so we bought one fairly cheap there, I'd say 2500 is a good amt, you will have to pay for your temporary lodging till you find housing unless y'all get an advance but y'all would still get reimbursed...
Arib107
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM
moving to Germany also(:
Peaceful.chaos
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM
We got to Germany 2 days before Thanksgiving. Depending on where you ship your car from it can take a few months. We drove ours right to the port and dropped it off the day before we flew out. We were there about 45 days before it arrived. It depends which end you'd rather be without it. Here's my insight on the 2 cars in hindsight. We sold one for less than it was worth and bought one in Germany for more than we wanted to spend. We would have saved money paying $2500 to ship it over and selling over there before coming back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TippyD
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM

you will have to pay for passports out of pocket as well. the only passports the military provide are not good for traveling.. *cant remember what the military passports are called specifically*  like others have said, you will need to pay for your pets to be moved/quarantined/ etc on your own as well.. as for what we would do with a car, it would depend on the base. Germany, we would probably leave our truck stateside*or sell it* and would pay to move our car.. :) the flights, they pay for a ticket per a person including small infants! :) 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Good luck!

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:01 AM

the passports for official travel are called No- fees, and you will need tourist passports to travel as a tourist.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN