Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

(Just wna vent!) Did Reserve wknd+2 wks and now I don't have enough breast milk for a feeding! :(

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:31 AM
  • 13 Replies

Was a stay at home/Reservist mom, until I had my first wknd after mat leave, then one week later I had to go on my annual two weeks, now I have almost no b milk!!!!! It's kinda depressing, really stressful and I feel like I don't know what to do. I don't want to do formula, but he was losing weight. Now he's been bottle fed for almost a month and looks chubby yet still under weight as of less than wk ago, rather than like a healthy lean/muscular/chunky baby (when he looked like this he was in the"75th percentile" of weight for his age). I'll have to go to a tech school for two weeks sometime this year and may deploy in April(1 mnth after his 1st bday) for 6 mnths. I want/wanted to breast feed for 1-2 yr.s or at least do bottled bmilk sometime after age 1yr till he's 2-3 yr.s We're still working on it and will continue to do so, but in the mean time I guess I just wanted to vent.

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
firemom702
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:31 AM
1 mom liked this
It's definitely possible to get your supply back. I would meet with a CLC or IBCLC, find a breast feeding support group or LLL meeting to go to. Check out kellymom.com for lots of great info as well. There are supplements you can take to help boost your supply as well as pump/hand express while you have to be away from baby. Good luck momma :)
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:53 AM

I'm sorry you're struggling right now...hugs!

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:05 AM
2 moms liked this

I suggest a breastfeeding group. Not that your vent isn't welcome here, but they may have more ideas on how to boost your supply again. I used fenugreek and Blessed thistle. You buy it in an herb store. Its three, three times a day. Yes it seems like a lot, but it will NOT hurt you or baby. The only side effect is you will smell like maple syrup. I felt like I lived in a pancake house with all that I took. :P Drink LOTS of water. Get a hospital grade pump and pump. And remember that a pump is NO indication of how much baby is getting. A baby uses suction and compression to express milk, a BP only uses suction. If you do all of that you can boost your supply again. Offer the breast first any time baby is fussy some women say they feel like a pacifier, you are supposed to. Suckling will again boost your supply. 

***Throw out all that you know about weight and percentiles. They don't matter one little tiny bit. Babies grow when they grow. BF babies and bottle babies are different. Those charts were made by formula companies. My oldest DD was a chunky monkey. She had the fattest little cheeks ever. At 1 she was around 25 lbs. My middle DD is a skinny mini. At 18 months she weigh 18 lbs. Same mom, same dad, different child. STILL DD1 is the tallest in her class, DD2 is the smallest in her class. DS who is two years younger that DD2 is the same height and weight. As long as your LO is hitting all developmental milestones don't worry about weight or percentiles. They will only stress you out.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:20 AM

hugs, I ditto everyone else who suggest a support group. GL!

TippyD
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:19 AM

put him to breast often and you can get your milk supply back:) also take some fenugreek and check out kellymom.com for other ways to boost your supply:)

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:38 AM

there are so many ways to boost your milk back up. If you haven't yet, post in the breastfeeding group, they have great advice!

JMcIver
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Start taking Fenugreek and put him on the breast for every feeding; even in the middle of the night. 

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I keep my good pump at work. I take it to the field too. 2 weeks after having my baby I went to AT and kept my supply. Fenugreek is your friend. And you keep that camelback full of water... And friken drink it. Aaaaaaall damn day. Drink while you walk, convoy, wait in line for the range, while counseling, while you're lost... Drink water aaaaall day. And avoid coffee.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Do as the others suggest but DO NOT feel guilty if it doesn't work out like you planned! Plenty of people supplement with formula and the babies are just as healthy! Is he losing weight because he's not getting enough food?? Please don't starve the baby because of not producing enough milk. That is sad and unfair to him :-( keep trying but if it doesn't work out let it go and continue on bring the best mommy possible :-)
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Above is great advice!  Drink water, pump while you are in training, even if you are dumping the BM, you will keep your supply up.  Always offer the breast first before any bottle feeding, let him stay latched for as long as he wants.  Try to offer every hour if you can.  The more he suckles, the more it signals your brain to produce more, it is telling your body "baby's not getting enough, make more!"  Also, try keeping formula feedings small.  A breastfed baby shouldn't get more than 2-3 ounces of anything at a time, or it will stretch their stomach and make them feel like they are still hungry after a nursing.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)