Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

ARRRG!! Reduced lunch crap!!!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this

I got a little ticked off when it came to reduced lunch paperwork. I just don't see how this should be different. Not that we qualify anyway but, I was reading the military clause on it.  It states: If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance income!  This is bs. Housing is very seldom available on post, you are lucky if you get it in a lot of areas. Not only that everything is paid for: rent, heat, water, electric (yes, I know this might change or has changed in some areas, but still not what the cost of off post is).  If you are off post, your housing allowance very seldom covers everything, you end up paying "out of pocket" unless you live in a complete shit hole. So pretty much if you take two military families and make them exactly the same, one will qualify for assistance because they live on post, and the other will not because they receive an allowance. I have always found this completely stupid!!!! I feel like it is punishing the people that live off post.  Where I am right now we don't even have the option of housing! 

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Wow that is really crappy.
Arib107
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:42 PM
I really don't think that's fair. Its's really the same either way, bah is to pay for your housing,just like on base housing is payed for.
NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:44 PM

There are families that double up in off post housing or end up pocketing money. Not a lot but some. I think that is where this rule comes from. Eh, it kind of sucks but there isn't much that can be done.

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:48 PM
4 moms liked this

I agree with you, but for the opposite reason.  I think EVERYONE should have to claim their BAH rate on those applications, even if they live in military housing.  Civilians have to report all income and benifits, why should military be treated differently?

Arib107
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:54 PM
I totally agree with this!

Quoting TonyaLea:

I agree with you, but for the opposite reason.  I think EVERYONE should have to claim their BAH rate on those applications, even if they live in military housing.  Civilians have to report all income and benifits, why should military be treated differently?

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM

You have to claim it here on base or not.  Interesting they don't require that.  What state are you in?

shiningjoy
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I understand.  I believe it should be the same for everyone. Either everyone claims it or no one claims it.  It shouldn't make a difference if you live on or off post!

Quoting TonyaLea:

shiningjoy
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I think that is their choice, and people that live on post and want to do that should just move off post.  Some places are really expensive to live to and even with BAH you still can't afford it. I don't blame them for sharing a house.

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

There are families that double up in off post housing or end up pocketing money. Not a lot but some. I think that is where this rule comes from. Eh, it kind of sucks but there isn't much that can be done.

shiningjoy
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Mass, just outside of Boston... the land of incredibly high taxes, rent and fees :)

Quoting jas_momof2:

You have to claim it here on base or not.  Interesting they don't require that.  What state are you in?

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Then is it not also their choice to pay for full priced lunches because of the rules?

Quoting shiningjoy:

I think that is their choice, and people that live on post and want to do that should just move off post.  Some places are really expensive to live to and even with BAH you still can't afford it. I don't blame them for sharing a house.

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.  Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you
are inevitably ruined - Patrick Henry

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN