Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Family Care Plan

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:22 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi, I am a single mom in the active Army. I work at from 0600-1800 five days a week and my son goes to the daycare here on post. He keeps getting sent home for the most ridiculous stuff, and if sent home the rule is that they cannot come back within 24 hours. My NCO is getting tired of the fact I have to miss many days of work due to this. I have been trying to find another person to watch him but I am having no luck. I do have my family care plan but if activated it will not be the best for my child's welfare. Short Term is unemployed and Long term is losing her job in 3 months. I was told you could get removed from the military for family care plan, is this true? And to what point does it have to get where an NCO would proceed with this?

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twinkersmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I have no advice for you but here's a bump. God bless you for serving and juggling motherhood. I hope someone can be more helpful. Good luck

usmclife58
by Nikki on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

At any point your NCO can proceed with charging you for your FCP. You need to find another plan B, C, and D.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Yep.  This. 

Quoting usmclife58:

At any point your NCO can proceed with charging you for your FCP. You need to find another plan B, C, and D.

SierraLynn
by Just Me on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Yep.

Quoting usmclife58:

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:42 PM
3 moms liked this

at any time you fail to perform your duty. the CDC is the worst when it comes to stuff like that.

I would suggest looking for different child care- a home care setting tends to be a little more flexible and generally take mildly ill children.

also look in your area for a sitter service- it can be a little expensive but they have a slew of sitters on call for things like this ( and for date nights and other stuff)

if there is not one- be proactive and look to start a co-op in your area- a couple of stay at home moms - students ect that would be willing to alternate care as needed.

there are ways to find care, you just have to be a little creative

klar2011
by New Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

You can be discharged for not having a viable family care plan. In my daughters case, she is being discharged for not having a family person available within less than 200 miles of her.  The excuse they are using is that it is an unneccessary expense for someone to fly to her location to care for her child if she has field duty or is deployed.  Total crap in my opinion, as I would gladly pay for my own ticket, and no hardship is expected.  I really think that this is the Army's way of getting these young single mom's out of the service.  Too bad.  They are great soldiers.  It is happening in my daughters unit at Fort Campbell.  There are 5 or 6 of them that are being discharged for that.

Good luck.

bubsiclesmom
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM

They can kick your out for a hardship after NJP. The military takes their FCP very serious. I've been stationed in places where that has happened but first they want to give you a few UCMJ violations and take half your pay. You have to have a current FCP on file. There's no getting around it or even falsifying it. It sucks being a single parent in the military because I was one and it was very hard.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM
3 moms liked this

members are required to have a local person, if they want to have both a local person and a long distance person they can but they are required to have a local person ( within 50 miles)

this is clearly stated in the regulations. if someone does not have one they are in violation and can be kicked out for not following military regulations.

HH6
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Some options to help you out:

1. Check with your FCC (Family Childcare) providers on post.  CYS should have a list.  There are usually some that are designated as "sick" homes and will take drop in sick kids.  I know this is not available everywhere but 2 of the posts I have been at had FCC homes like this.  Doesn't hurt to ask.

2. Talk to your NCO - see if you can network with some of the wives of other soldiers you serve with.  Those without kiddos yet are sometimes willing to take care of a friend's child here and there.  Again, never hurts to check it out.

Having  a good family care plan so you can be at work is important but I understand that it can be tough with the CDC rules that are often insanely strict.  Hopefully others will have some suggestions for a solution as well.  Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Story of my military life! Try posting your situation on sittercity.com or care.com. Its how I found a reliable FCP and when her hubby PCSd I followed. Two years in I had my 1st kid, five yrs later had my last kid, so unfortunately I will have to deal wih FCP til I get out. With only one kid it shouldn't be too hard. Find someone whos Mom lives with them who doesnt mind helping you out.
Your NCO either never went through it or forgot what the struggle is like.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)