Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Just got word we are going to Norfolk, VA

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM
  • 13 Replies

And are wondering about the base housing there?

We have been stationed in San Diego for 3 years now and we've just rented apartments instead.

We have two sons, and thinking the backyards they offer sound great.  I've heard they have mold problems though?   Is the housing worth all the BAH or not?

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I'm sorry... 

lizzielouaf
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM

lol

Quoting jas_momof2:

I'm sorry... 

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:00 PM

My brother was stationed there!! He actually lived in VA beach though. I know the biggest complaint my sister in law had (other than the traffic), were the schools. Good luck. The housing looked in good condition. I am just not sure if it's worth the entire BAH.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Welcome to Virginia!!  My husband has been in the Navy for about 16 years and has spent his entire career in the Norfolk/Va Beach area.  I'm not too familiar with housing since we have rented and then bought a home, but the area as a whole is pretty nice (we vacationed in Florida last month and stopped at the base in Mayport, FL to check it out and decided we preferred the bases in Virginia to Florida).  I'm not an expert on schools, but based on what I've heard the schools in Va Beach and Chesapeake are better than Norfolk.  The traffic is a pain at times, but it really is a nice place to live.  There are three main bases in the area (including three Commissaries - 2 in Va Beach and 1 in Norfolk) and the cities around here are big enough that the shopping is good (multiple Walmarts/Targets, plenty of malls, etc.).

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:29 PM

We live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia.  We've never lived in housing though so I don't know anything about that.  We live in Newport News, on the other side of the water from VA Beach and Norfolk.  We like the area and we've been here since 2007.  Good luck!

mcclanto
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM
I lived there for 2 years. It isn't a bad place to live. Chesapeake has good schools. They are some really good schools in VA Beach too. We didn't live in base housing, but I think Little Creek has nice housing.
krys1025
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:57 PM
I did hear a lot about the housing in Norfolk on the news with having mold problems... We live in Va beach and really just research the whole tri city areas... Virginia beach, Chesapeake and norfolk before deciding where to live and send your kids to school... There are some pretty ghetto areas and schools around all the areas. My family isn't too fond of the area and can't wait to leave.

The traffic is crazy, people suck at driving, but on the other hand it's a big area so there is a lot of shopping and things to do. Good luck :-)

Feel free to message me for any questions, but like I said I don't live in housing so I can just answer questions about the area.
waitingportside
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks, all.  We decided since housing is a six month lease, if it turns out we don't like it we can move, lol.

thorntonwife
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I live in housing by norfolk base, and it's not bad.
katieskiddos
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Oh how I wish my husband chose Navy we are from Norfolk and its so hard to get stationed close in the army we have been trying for 2 moves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN