Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving in the middle of a school year

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:45 AM
  • 32 Replies

For those of you who have done it before, how have you worked the logistics?  Do you let the kids take some time off school for the move, or make a quick transfer like one school on Friday the new one on Monday, or something in between?

My daughter is in Kindergarten this year.  I was hoping to wait till Spring break to give us some time to settle in, but we have to move in march and both our current school and the new school have spring break in April, so that isn't going to be an option.  So...now I am trying decide on a new plan.  We are only moving 3-4 hours north, so a relativly short move.

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:38 AM

When we moved in the middle of the school year, we gave him 1 day at the new house, and then put him back in. Granted we moved to a different country and he was out of school for 3 weeks till we got our house. He had a real hard time adjusting. So I would say put them in as soon as possible. This will help keep things normal in my mind!

omerciful1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:52 AM

My kids changed schools 3 times in 5 months. The first change they had about a week off trying to get paperwork done. The last and final move was in-between semesters (Christmas break) so they had that time off and then started their new schools in Jan. When we moved back from Germany many years ago our daughter was in Kindergarten and she ended up having a good bit of time off because we had to find a house etc. 

krys1025
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I always give a little time to adjust.. Of course when we moved overseas I gave about a week for them to adjust to the 14 hour time difference.

Now their older so I am going to try and get them back in ASAP as its easier for them to fall behind with the bigger work load... We always pcs in march so it's always during the school year.
ZanderandBella
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM

This was something I have been dealing with. We are going to be making 2 more moves (and we just made one now). So I decided to let him start Kindergarten next year. However, the next move is cross country :/.

Heather- Air Force Wife, Mom of two, Retired at age 25 thanks to It Works Global!
There are people that will tell you that you can't do it. They will even try to hold you back. However, it only means THEY can't do it. You can do anything you set your mind to and are willing to work hard to get.

Crysrey1
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
We just gave our dd one day off.
MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
We moved from Florida to California last October. We arrived on Monday and our stuff was set to come on Wednesday. We just decided to have her start school on Thursday that way we could both be there for the unpack. Total time not in school was two weeks but I asked for extra work for her to take with us on the road.
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Quoting barrelracer1699:

When we moved in the middle of the school year, we gave him 1 day at the new house, and then put him back in. Granted we moved to a different country and he was out of school for 3 weeks till we got our house. He had a real hard time adjusting. So I would say put them in as soon as possible. This will help keep things normal in my mind!

That was what I was thinking too.  It is a short move, so technically we could leave here on a Friday, and have her in the new school by Monday if I can get all the paperwork worked out with the schools.  Our house may still be empty at that point though.

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

How did it work with paperwork?  Did you have the old shcool send the new school your records? 

Quoting omerciful1:

My kids changed schools 3 times in 5 months. The first change they had about a week off trying to get paperwork done. The last and final move was in-between semesters (Christmas break) so they had that time off and then started their new schools in Jan. When we moved back from Germany many years ago our daughter was in Kindergarten and she ended up having a good bit of time off because we had to find a house etc. 

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM

We have to do two moves close toghter too.  We just got here this March, and will be leaving next March.

Quoting ZanderandBella:

This was something I have been dealing with. We are going to be making 2 more moves (and we just made one now). So I decided to let him start Kindergarten next year. However, the next move is cross country :/.

cocoroo
by Coco on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM
We have moved our kids during the school year twice. The firt time, they were in 9th, 5th, 2nd and 1st grade. The second time they were 7th, 4th and 3rd grade. We moved in Feb and March. These were both cross country moves. They were out of school for about 2 weeks each time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)