Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Base housing appliances

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

We live in base housing and its privatized. We unfortunately did not get a new house and have an old house.. So we got really old appliances that have a lot of issues. Maintenance wont do anything about it either. Our ice maker makes moldy ice and the freezer burns absolutely everything I put into it (no matter how low I turn it). The stove barely works and two of my top burners are so lopsided I cant use anything on them.

So I thought it would be more than worth it to just buy our own appliances. A lot of people do that because the appliances are crappy and other bases weve been to would always remove the appliances for you.

Not here... They told us we have to remove them (which is fine) but we also are responsible for storing them. They said they wont take them. We have no garage and no where to even store them so I guess we are just SOL.

I think im a pretty reasonable person and instead of just complaining about crappy appliances I am willing to pay for my own.. But they are refusing to work with us. Im definitely very frustrated. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Where are they supposed to store them?  You are choosing to use something other than what has been provided.  Sad to say, that's how it is.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM
What base is this?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Quoting jas_momof2:

Where are they supposed to store them?  You are choosing to use something other than what has been provided.  Sad to say, that's how it is.

At our last base they just put them back in their shop and used them for spares ...like if someone else's went out. I dont think its an unreasonable request at all. My husband just called the housing manager and she said they were wrong anyways. We just submit a request for modification and then they will have them removed. That way its documented for when we move out that the appliances were removed and we did not use them.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Well there ya go...  Some bases don't have areas to store them.  Something to keep in mind.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jas_momof2:

At our last base they just put them back in their shop and used them for spares ...like if someone else's went out. I dont think its an unreasonable request at all. My husband just called the housing manager and she said they were wrong anyways. We just submit a request for modification and then they will have them removed. That way its documented for when we move out that the appliances were removed and we did not use them.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Glad things are working out for you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jas_momof2:

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM

What happens when maintence comes out and sees the moldy ice? Do they even attemp to fix it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

What happens when maintence comes out and sees the moldy ice? Do they even attemp to fix it?

Theres no filter on it, its just a direct line to the water line. Its one of those ice makers thats inside of the freezer (not outside on the door). So there isnt anything they can do apparently.. They said an ice maker isnt enough of a reason to replace the fridge. I can deal with the no ice thing but the freezer burning everything I stick in (like within two days of sticking it in there) is too much.. Its just costing us money and ruining our food. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Thanks!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Glad things are working out for you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jas_momof2:

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM

if it is privatized housing, I would be contacting the property manager. If they don't want to do anything, I would look at contacting headquarters (we had to do it with Lincoln, when they were dragging their feet on taking care of things were safety issues in our home). Something like this shouldn't be happening period. We have friends who have bought their own appliances, but that was because they had a preference for stainless steel. Not due to there being any issues like you have.  You should not have to pay for appliances. If your bah is paying for the home, it should be in working order. Good luck.

SierraLynn
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM
How do you store your food in the freezer? Do you just stick meats and whatnot in a Ziploc and call it day? Or do you try to take other preventive measures to save your food?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Theres no filter on it, its just a direct line to the water line. Its one of those ice makers thats inside of the freezer (not outside on the door). So there isnt anything they can do apparently.. They said an ice maker isnt enough of a reason to replace the fridge. I can deal with the no ice thing but the freezer burning everything I stick in (like within two days of sticking it in there) is too much.. Its just costing us money and ruining our food. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN