Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Getting Healthy, Staying Healthy

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:02 PM
  • 27 Replies

I am just curious as to what ways everyone tries to keep themselves healthy. What is your workout routine? Classes? Yoga? Cardio? Weights? Also, what vitamins or supplements do you use? What things have you eliminated from your diet? Or added?

I have been doing about 4-5 hours of cardio a week and 2 hours of weight training to try and tone up. Sometimes I do a low level spin class and like those. I have been doing it for about fifteen weeks and I am looking for new ways to split up my workout or for more effective ways.

I have multiple sclerosis and it poses a few restrictions to my workout. I have huge issues with heat intolerance so I can't have my core temp. get too high. I have fibromyalgia as well and my muscles can make it hard to do a workout the day after a strenuous one. I have to be really careful to pay attention to what my body is telling me or it could cause bigger issues So anything really strenuous or intensive probably wouldn't work for me. I just feel so much better over all since I have been working out on a regular basis.

Thank you in adance for any input.

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Sounds like you have a great routine now:)  4-5 hrs of cardio and 2 hrs of weights each week is great!  

I'm a runner.  I run 70-100 miles/month on average, and I'm currently about to start training for a my first full marathon.  I've done a few half marathons in the past few years and want to move on to fulls now.  

Honestly, I loathe weights/strength training, but I force myself to do at least an hour each week...not much but better than nothing.  

As far as eating goes, I focus on fruits, veggies, and lean protein, although I do have some *junk* so to speak on occasion.  Everything in moderation is my motto:)

denise3680
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I do cardio and weight lifting.  I take triple strength fish oil and biotin.  I drink lots and lots and lots of water. I have gotten rid of soda, most fried food ( I am from the south so fried food is in my blood, but I have cut back to maybe only 1 time a week or every 2 weeks:)  No fast food and very little to almost no processed foods.  My oldest does yoga and she loves it.  I thought about trying it but I really love to run and lift so I am not sure:)

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I am not a runner. Lol. I do run on the treadmill and hate every second of it, and my knees do not love it either. But I do mix it in with walking most days. I don't mind weights but I do not want to look muscular so it is a fine line to walk. I have cut almost all soda out of my diet and most fast food. I am just so picky it is hard.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Sounds like you have a great routine now:)  4-5 hrs of cardio and 2 hrs of weights each week is great!  

I'm a runner.  I run 70-100 miles/month on average, and I'm currently about to start training for a my first full marathon.  I've done a few half marathons in the past few years and want to move on to fulls now.  

Honestly, I loathe weights/strength training, but I force myself to do at least an hour each week...not much but better than nothing.  

As far as eating goes, I focus on fruits, veggies, and lean protein, although I do have some *junk* so to speak on occasion.  Everything in moderation is my motto:)

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I don't like being looked at when I work out and that is why I haven't tried a yoga class yet. I might grab a yoga video and try it at home. It might be good for my anxiety to give it a try. Thanks!

Quoting denise3680:

I do cardio and weight lifting.  I take triple strength fish oil and biotin.  I drink lots and lots and lots of water. I have gotten rid of soda, most fried food ( I am from the south so fried food is in my blood, but I have cut back to maybe only 1 time a week or every 2 weeks:)  No fast food and very little to almost no processed foods.  My oldest does yoga and she loves it.  I thought about trying it but I really love to run and lift so I am not sure:)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I prefer to run outside, but I do have a treadmill I run on for shorter distances and when I can't get out.  I do drink a TON of water as well...I have diet soda on occasion as well as coffee and wine:)  I don't have fast food very often either.  There's definite room for improvement in my diet!

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

I am not a runner. Lol. I do run on the treadmill and hate every second of it, and my knees do not love it either. But I do mix it in with walking most days. I don't mind weights but I do not want to look muscular so it is a fine line to walk. I have cut almost all soda out of my diet and most fast food. I am just so picky it is hard.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

TippyD
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM

i like yoga, as well as I use protein shakes:)  try to find good ones with as little crap in them as possible.. I have some from shakeology:)  and I know a mom who has some recommendations.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

There is a great group here on Cafemom called Healthy Weight Loss. Several of us here are members, you'll find lots of support and suggestions there. 

I'm a Paleo eater myself. I eat (mostly) all natural, unprocessed, locally derived food and avoid sugar and carbs. I've never felt better. 

SierraLynn
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM
My weights and cardio are my 1 year old who just learned to walk. Im always chasing after her.
But seriously I need to work on getting myself healthier. Eating better and exercising.
SierraLynn
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Its a great group. I hardly post in there but read a lot. I have a hard time sticking to a workout routine. Im lazy. Lol

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

There is a great group here on Cafemom called Healthy Weight Loss. Several of us here are members, you'll find lots of support and suggestions there. 

I'm a Paleo eater myself. I eat (mostly) all natural, unprocessed, locally derived food and avoid sugar and carbs. I've never felt better. 

mlogsdon
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I do yoga and dance videos at home lol. I went to Zumba once but was too embarrassed and self conscious to actually get into it. I go to the gym twice a week with respite hours, and do other stuff at home. I actually just got finished with a hike, so I just try to stay active even if its not a purposeful workout.

I do about the same as you as far as physical activity. My diet is lean protein, veggies and fruits. I really don't eat a whole lot of carbs. Though mashed potatoes are my all time favorite comfort food so I do still have them occasionally lol. No soda or juices, just water or herbal tea for me. Supplements...I take a prenatal actually. I asked my doctor if that really mattered and she said that was fine ;-)

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

I don't like being looked at when I work out and that is why I haven't tried a yoga class yet. I might grab a yoga video and try it at home. It might be good for my anxiety to give it a try. Thanks!

Quoting denise3680:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN