Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

I need answers from any wife/SM who can answer this question for me

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:04 PM
  • 26 Replies

What were some must haves to make sure that everything is okay for when you or your spouse deployed? Things that were needed to make sure the deployment went as smoothly as possible. Things like dependant ID cards, POAs and things of that nature.

What were somethings that you didn't have that you wish you would have had or known about so that deployment(s) were easier for you and your SO.

I do not mean things like Skype and care packages. I am looking for answer like "I wish we would have known how important having a specific POA for our car was".

Thanks in advance, everyone.

***EDIT: this information isn't for me. It's for me to pass down to my soldiers. This is their first deployment. Just want to make sure that they have everything taken care of prior to us leaving***

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

a will

also, contact your financial insitution to ensure that the general poa you have is acceptable for their purposes. sometimes, they require more specific language.

also, keep everything important(will, poa, insurance info, contact info, and "what he wants done if the shit goes down" info in a binder, in a fire-proof safe. one never knows.

SierraLynn
by Just Me on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:25 PM
A will. We always seem to forget to do it, but its something I wish we wou remember.
I already know how important POAs are since I have refinanced dh's truck, renewed our lease and registered his truck for CO this deployment.
And I agree with SJ, fireproof safe. We have one and its awesome.
Also we have a separate savings account that I transfer all of Dhs allotments he receives while deployed. Just in case he is for some reason over paid for anything and we can pay it back all at once or have the extra incase its taken from his pay. It hasnt happened yet, but its better to be safe then sorry.
mandaschelle
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM
The only one not mentioned yet that I needed was a certified copy of our marriage license.
Shari55
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:31 PM

When my husband was deployed during Desert Storm (1991-1992), part of the preparing for deployment was getting a basic will set up, and making sure everything was taking care of. 

Well actually I can't think of anything...

Shari(8/55), wife to John(6/52) since (4/88), Mom to Heather (1/77) she is mom to five b(9/99),b(1/01),b(5/03),g(6/04) g( 8/06), Nyssa(4/89) Michaela(8/94) and three cats

TishHughes
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Quoting SierraLynn:

A will. We always seem to forget to do it, but its something I wish we wou remember.
I already know how important POAs are since I have refinanced dh's truck, renewed our lease and registered his truck for CO this deployment.
And I agree with SJ, fireproof safe. We have one and its awesome.
Also we have a separate savings account that I transfer all of Dhs allotments he receives while deployed. Just in case he is for some reason over paid for anything and we can pay it back all at once or have the extra incase its taken from his pay. It hasnt happened yet, but its better to be safe then sorry.

A few people had that issue when we came back last year. I need to make sure that my 2 married soldiers (brand new to the Army and have never deployed) understand that these things can happen and can put them in a bad way if they don't plan accordingly.

Thanks everyone who has answered so far. Keep it coming, please!

omerciful1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:41 PM

A will. A living will. POA's... Have all of your important documents in one safe place, along with important phone numbers, account numbers etc. A plan, in the event that something happens and you are hospitalized who will take care of your kids, bills, animals, and so on. Who do you want with you while hospitalized, if you are not married etc. If you are a single parent and you have small kids, who do you want to care for your kids- and that will require a POA for insurance, schools etc...

ETA, a health care POA...

TishHughes
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Quoting Shari55:

When my husband was deployed during Desert Storm (1991-1992), part of the preparing for deployment was getting a basic will set up, and making sure everything was taking care of. 

While we're deployed, 2 of my soldier's wives will be back home so they'll be able to get copies if they need to. Thank you for your information, though! I had one just get married, I need to make sure that she understands that her husband needs to have his copy, though.

Shari55
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Quoting TishHughes:

Quoting Shari55:

While we're deployed, 2 of my soldier's wives will be back home so they'll be able to get copies if they need to. Thank you for your information, though! I had one just get married, I need to make sure that she understands that her husband needs to have his copy, though.

No problem, things have changed since we got out... oh make sure they get a joint bank account, since pay is direct deposit, it makes life easier if there is a problem.

Shari(8/55), wife to John(6/52) since (4/88), Mom to Heather (1/77) she is mom to five b(9/99),b(1/01),b(5/03),g(6/04) g( 8/06), Nyssa(4/89) Michaela(8/94) and three cats

ebbierowe
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I would say the POA's are important. DH was deployed but he was in OTS and the POA I got didn't give me the ability to sign the lease for base house. Just make sure they have the POAs that they need.

rosesink
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:59 PM

A separate Deployment checking account, so you do not have to guess at how much money your SO is spending to balance your joint checkbook.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)