Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Ban on Pit Bulls & Big Dogs: Best for Families or Completely Cruel?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:00 AM
  • 42 Replies

Military Ban on Pit Bulls & Big Dogs: Best for Families or Completely Cruel?

by Maressa Brown

pit bull angel stand up for pitsAngel the pit bull makes a plea to the POTUS President Obama is making headlines for news related to a whole bunch of dogs! The White House has come out against breed-specific legislation, or any regulations and laws that restrict ownership of dogs by breed. Pit bulls are usually the most common target. And ironically, one of the highest profile organizations to enact these sorts of bans is none other than the U.S. military ...

The Marine Corps bans "large dog breeds with a predisposition toward aggressive or dangerous behavior," including pit bulls, from on-base housing, and many Air Force, Army, and Navy installations have followed suit. (DogsBite.org has a list of bases and municipalities that have banned certain dog breeds.)

As if that wasn't enough, in Prince George's County, Maryland, pit bulls are banned altogether. According to the Maryland Dog Federation, those found within the county are usually either put down or donated to families in other areas. Ugh, horrible! No wonder the White House felt it necessary to speak out on this.

Families -- military or otherwise -- should be able to have whatever dog they want. The issue is not so much about the breed as it is about dog owners being responsible and informed. As the White House notes in their full statement, "The simple fact is that dogs of any breed can become dangerous when they're intentionally or unintentionally raised to be aggressive." Sad, but true! In fact, the White house notes that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found it "virtually impossible to calculate bite rates for specific breeds." Hello, that's definitely a case to keep the military and any other community from targeting specific breeds!

The solution, then, to guard against dog bites should be as the CDC suggests -- a "community-based approach," which would help "build stronger communities of pets and pet owners." Sounds like a win-win plan for every person -- and every dog.

What are your thoughts on the White House's statement and bans on specific dog breeds?

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Katkinson
by Kristin on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Although I agree with this article,

Pit bulls are defined by professionals as a "power breed" dog.  DO they make bad pets?  Some, just like every other breed.  But this breed ( along with rottweilers, dobermans, etc) are more prone to aggressive behavior. 

Do I judge?  Nope.  But they are NOT for my family.  People should be able to have them, and I've heard over and over and over "mine is such a lovey" and it's probably true.  But OUR FAMILY RULE is to stick with the "kid" breeds.  Goldens, labs, bulldogs, newfies, etc. 

vintage-misha
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not a pit bull fan so I agree with bans against them. 

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:25 AM
2 moms liked this

It's about the owner as much as the breed.  I know of several people who have them and they are absolute sweeties.  But...the owner had the dog spayed/neutered and does not encourge aggression.  Unfortunately we cannot ban poor pet owners.  Or Michael Vick :(

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM
I wouldn't want to live next to one so agreed.
sahmw2010
by Beth on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM
I dont blame the breed of dog for the attacks. Any dog cab attack if its not trained properly. Hell i have been attacked more by those little wiener dogs then the rotwiller. Never been attacked by a pit bull. I think if they are going to ban 1 type dog, then they should ban all dogs. Because any dog can attack someone for a reason or another
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I agree in that a lot of pet owners don't train their dogs properly so these dogs DO sometimes attack.
Then there's a friend of mine who has a huge pit. When she moved in with her now-DH, the dog had been a protector of sorts, basically poorly trained and wasn't good with new people or kids. She's trained him, settled him down, and now has 2 little dogs and a baby, and he is FANTASTIC around these littles. The baby snuggles him, he lets her lay with him, he doesn't snap at the two chihuahuas, nor new people... My friend has trained this dog well and he has a great temperament. A lot of these dogs behaviors have to do with the training. And so many owners aren't willing to put in the time and effort. So yes, these dogs are aggressive. And unfortunately like anchor said, we can't ban pet owners =p  Until people are willing to properly train these dogs, they shouldn't be in community settings. And I hate that.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM

it is so much what is best for military families, but what the liability is for housing areas.

I am a landlord, my insurance will not allow my tenants to have pitbulls, rotties, GS ( unless specifically a guide dog or police dog) and a few others.

I put in place a weight limit of 35 lbs, which  eliminates all large breeds.

Pitties are unpredictable- regardless of thier training. I have witnessed first hand a pittie bite a 2 year old child, this child lived in the same home with the pittie - the pittie was german trained and was hand raised around children, she was 9 years old when she bit the face of the 2 year old. we were sitting on the porch and the child was playing next to the dog with blocks, the dog let out a growl ( we thought because of a kid on a bike) she never stood up, she never barked, only one small growl- she turned and grabbed the little girl by the face and started shaking her like a rag doll. we could not get the dog to let go, and they shot her on the porch with the girl still in her mouth. it took 76 stitches and 5 surgeries to repair the damage to her face, she is now 20 and still bears the scares of that attack.

unfortunately it is one of the many things we have to give up when AD military or a spouse of a military member.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:08 AM

There's a HUGE difference in the severity of attack between a poodle and a pit.

Quoting sahmw2010:

I dont blame the breed of dog for the attacks. Any dog cab attack if its not trained properly. Hell i have been attacked more by those little wiener dogs then the rotwiller. Never been attacked by a pit bull. I think if they are going to ban 1 type dog, then they should ban all dogs. Because any dog can attack someone for a reason or another

omerciful1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this

I do not agree with banning dogs based on breeds. Any dog can become violent and aggressive without warning or provocation. It's up to the owner to train and treat their dog responsibly, as well as getting their dog the proper shots and medical care. 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Quoting vintage-misha:

I'm not a pit bull fan so I agree with bans against them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)