Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Basic Instructor? Recruiter? PME instructor?*EDIT Honor Guard

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies

DH just came home and told me that he got pulled into the chiefs office and told that they are "redoing" things in the AF and no longer taking volunteers to go into the above mentioned positions. Instead they are taking the "best" TSGTS (maybe other ranks too IDK), pulling all of their EPRs, PT test scores ect ect, sending it up the chain and deciding that way who will go do these less than desirable jobs. DH loves his job so he is not too happy about this possibility but it is what it is.

Anyway, he was told to rank the above jobs in order of preference. We do not know anyone who has held these positions so any and all info/ opinions about them would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

*Honor guard is another option so info on that would be helpful too!

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM
2 moms liked this

These are not less than desirable jobs. It's actually smart to take the best to train our future military.

krys1025
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
In the Marine Corps you are required to do a B billet.. The above mentioned. Ok let's not say required cause I'm sure someone will correct me, because there are ways around it but its really best for their careers..

While there are plenty of people that voluntarily go, they also put out a "hit list" with people that are qualified to go do them that have not..

Maybe he'll end up loving it and it might actually help him out. I know all our friends that were drill instructors absolutely loved it.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Sep. 10, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 10, 2013 at 4:58 PM
I get the idea behind it. Before only shit bags who hated their jobs were who volunteered (according to my DH and his coworkers). Having people who are good workers is of course better for any job.
I was just asking if anyone could give me pros and cons of these jobs. I thought I remembered hearing bad things about recruiter duty.

Quoting Anonymous:

These are not less than desirable jobs. It's actually smart to take the best to train our future military.

SierraLynn
by Just Me on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Drill Instructor and recruiting are really good for career progression in the Army.

Yeah, they take volunteers as well as direct orders but they are still evaluated before going to school to become a DI.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Last I knew recruiters are held to a quota ... talk about stressful
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Fill me in...why is this funny?  I know nothing about the AF and the Navy doesn't really work that way:)

Quoting jas_momof2:

lol

JamieC0403
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:03 PM
My husband is in the marines and got a similar choice. We chose recruiter and, 3 months in, I'm not sure we made the right choice. He works incredibly long hours 6 days a week, and sometimes 7 days too if there is an event on Sunday they have to staff. We have a 2 year old, I telecommute and do all the housework, childcare, errands and now all the yard work too. They didnt allow him his PTDY to help find a house and unpack (his gunny promised him half days but that never happened.) and when our cat suffered from heart failure due to the stress of the move, he was allowed just enough time to run home so that I could take her to the vet to have her put to sleep without our toddler being annoying (he was gone from work for like an hour at lunch time) and the gunny acted like be was doing him a huge favor.
The good side is that we are close to family so that when he does have an evening off we can occasionally find a babysitter for a date night, I know the area and can find plenty of stuff to keep us busy while he's working, and since he's not allowed to take leave for t least 9 months we don't have to worry about traveling for Christmas.
That said if he'd gone with drill instructor he'd have been working like three months straight and then have had a couple weeks down before starting a new group through. But I know temperament wise he wouldn't have been a good drill instructor.
Peaceful.chaos
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:04 PM
I spent 9 years in AF recruiting. Loved it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM
*roll my eyes* This is actually not a "bitching about a hard job" post. My DHs current job is very stressful. That's part of the reason he loves it. He would rather be called to war than do some job usually reserved for lazy airman.

Quoting Anonymous:

Last I knew recruiters are held to a quota ... talk about stressful
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)