Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Dad Takes 4-Year-Old Daughter's Teddy Bear on Deployment & Shows Her the World

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:00 AM
  • 14 Replies
2 moms liked this

Military Dad Takes 4-Year-Old Daughter's Teddy Bear on Deployment & Shows Her the World

by Julie Ryan Evans

teddy bearWe see a lot of the heartwarming homecomings when military men and women reunite with their families after long deployments overseas. They're emotional and beautiful, and we wonder how they're able to make such a sacrifice. While nothing makes it easy, families do find ways to stay in touch and keep that bond though miles separate them. Coast Guard officer Gerald Orellana and his family provide a unique and heartwarming example.

According to a story at the Huffington Post, Orellana's daughter, Evelyn, gave him her prized stuffed teddy bear when he was about to leave for his deployment to the Arctic. Her mom, Irene, said Evelyn didn't want him to be lonely. "She knew that she and I would have each other, but Gerald wouldn't have our family."

So Gerald set out with "Evelynbear" in his suitcase, which is sweet enough. But it gets even sweeter.

Gerald didn't just keep the bear packed away in his suitcase and take her out once in awhile when no one was looking. He actually took Evelynbear on adventures with him, then sent pictures back to his wife and daughter to show just how much fun she was having.

There are pictures of the bear on the ship, in the snow, and in a cigar shop. She even has a uniform! Since Gerald will reportedly be deployed for the rest of year, we can only imagine what else they'll see her do. It's such a sweet and simple way for the family to share the experiences together even though they're worlds apart.

Nothing can make it painless to not have a parent there for the day-to-day activities and milestones, but things like this help ease the pain a bit.

What unique ways have you and your service member kept in touch?

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mineandme
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Awww! He is such a good daddy, that will be such a positive spin on such a tough time in this little girls life. My husband and I didnt do anything "special" or different while he was deployed just letter writing and phone calls. But even as email and computer chat became the easiest way to communicate we did make sure to occasionally send hand written letters or cards for some personal touch of each other. Love this story! ๐Ÿ˜Š
sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Awe that is so cool. When hubby was deployed we just did signs and cards to send him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanD
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:07 AM
We have a grey stuffed lamb that DH has taken on every deployment and TDY since DS2 was a toddler (he's 7 now). DH would take pics of the lamb at various places for DS to see. When they would video chat DS and DH would each have a lamb/sheep there.
jas_momof2

This is cool!

Oddy_Knocky
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Our daughters plastic Bagheera has been all over the world.
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Deployment to the arctic? Anyways, my husband took the boys Diego toy, and takes pictures of it all over the world. Its cool to see all the places Diego has been.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Aww that's awesome.
My husband takes pictures of himself all over with the same goofy face and thumbs up for now both of them. Lol
cuchiae
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM

sweetness

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

how cute!!

I packed a stuffed dog in my dad's bag once when he went somewhere...I think it was just drill though. And a note. He still has the note =] Says something about how if he gets lonely, my dog is there to give him hugs. lol

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Awe!  My 5 year old would love that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)