Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Speaking of having a plan...

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think your DH will retire at 20 years or stay in longer?  (Obviously for those service members who do plan to retire and not get out.)  Do they have goals for their career path?  Staying until x amount of years?  Retiring at a certain rank?  Or do they really care?  

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 7:41 AM
LOL! It's okay I barely know anything about it either even though I've been with him for 5 years lol.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Yeah...obviously I know nothing about Marine Corps either!  LOL!

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

It's Marine Corps :)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Nice!  Master Sergeant?  Is that Army?  Sorry, but I'm not familiar with Army terms:)

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

My husband wants to make it a career, so 20 years or possibly more if he feels like it and can stay in. He is kind of aiming to be a master sergeant.

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:13 AM

He wanted to retire at a certain rank and now has four years in rank and wanted to be out last spring...but it didn't happen.  He does have another job lined up--it's the civilian version one he is doing now--but budget issues are keeping him where he is and he keeps delaying retirement.  We have four kids to get through college so he will continue working full-time, but when the youngest graduates from college, I'll have the moving van packed for Hilton Head.  :)

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

we have talked about this a lot lately. My husband is navy and re enlisted for 6 years. He has five more years to go before he gets to 17 years. He has been offered some amazing jobs so far because of what he does. He started his career wanting to max out, but now, he just wants to make it to 20, retire, then work in the same field he is in now, just at a much higher income than in the military.

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM

DH is getting out, he said if it wasn't for me (and my oh so lovely issues with my ex) he would have stayed in and made it a career. Which makes me feel so guilty, but he said he would rather have a family than the army. So. I guess that's nice :-\

My dad was army but he also got out for family (he and my mom decided they wanted to live closer to family for my brother and i) but will be retiring from the guard in a few years (55? 60? whatever age.) DH is thinking of switching over to the guard as well.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

24 years next year and he's done.  Already started the paperwork. 

gg - how did he get a VA rating already when they have stated they're not looking at anyone until they retire?  He still has a year left...?

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this
The only way my dh will stay in past 20 is if he gets offered something that won't do much deploying. He's ready to be home with his family. He turned down a spot promote to take his first shore duty which he just started. He'll be right around 20 when he is done with this shore duty. We both see the benefits o him staying in -- he has such a bright future ahead of him but its just not worth it to be gone all the time. If he gets out, he also has a lot of great job options so it'll be good either way.
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

The plan is to retire, and he has the next several sets of orders "planned" how he would like them to go, but beyond that no specifics.  He would like to go as high as possible, and may stay in beyond 20 if it is possible to go higher.  We have quite a while before he will need to worry about all of that.

cocoroo
by Coco on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:03 PM
My dh has almost 13 years on now. He Plans on staying until they kick his old butt out. He is about to make E7 and would ideally like to retire as a Sgt Maj (E9), but would be fine retiring as an E8.
MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM
He wants to retire at 20, then get out and work with the K-9 unit. We have a rental house right now and we plan to move into it when he gets out.
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM

the VA rating is an estimate. this estimate is based on a formula a rep from  from the VFW. ( I know it is silly sounding) but this guy has been a middle man for vets for 35 years and from what DH tells me this guy is never wrong, Also DH has combat related sleep apnea and that is an automatic 50%, so we know that  is 50% and his back and wrist will be able 12-15% on the high side,

financially we need him to collect 950 a month from the VA so 50% will put him at about 852 a month. and anything over should put him at 950 a month.

Quoting jas_momof2:

24 years next year and he's done.  Already started the paperwork. 

gg - how did he get a VA rating already when they have stated they're not looking at anyone until they retire?  He still has a year left...?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)