Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Speaking of having a plan...

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think your DH will retire at 20 years or stay in longer?  (Obviously for those service members who do plan to retire and not get out.)  Do they have goals for their career path?  Staying until x amount of years?  Retiring at a certain rank?  Or do they really care?  

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Replies (21-30):
SusanD
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM

DH will most likely retire at 20, unless something major changes that.

TippyD
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM

he wants to go LDO so if he can get it, it is a for SURE 20+ years in because he has to commit to another 10 years.. may stay in longer at that point but IDK.. at this point he can get out when he wants. if he is in for 19 years and decides to get out, I support it. He is the one working so it is up to him if he stays in.. if he decides to get out, he is like 4 classes or something like that away from his bachelors, soo he is trying to finish that, but his rate allows for decent jobs in the "real world" :)

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 5:23 PM

This was the same for my dh.  He did end up going LDO right around the 10 year mark so he is in for the full 20, at least.

Quoting TippyD:

he wants to go LDO so if he can get it, it is a for SURE 20+ years in because he has to commit to another 10 years.. may stay in longer at that point but IDK.. at this point he can get out when he wants. if he is in for 19 years and decides to get out, I support it. He is the one working so it is up to him if he stays in.. if he decides to get out, he is like 4 classes or something like that away from his bachelors, soo he is trying to finish that, but his rate allows for decent jobs in the "real world" :)

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM

He just told me today he's thinking more and more about staying in and doing two more tours because the second will be another shore duty and he has a specific one in mind.  We shall see :).

TippyD
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 5:26 PM

we hope he can get picked up for it:) it would be AWESOME! I am nervous because it would take him away from his current type of deployment schedule, but it is what he wants to do and would set us up better for retirement.. yeah for focusing on the long term and not the now! lol.. wish he could stay where he is and be a LDO, but.. from what he understands it wont:(

Quoting SlapItHigh:

This was the same for my dh.  He did end up going LDO right around the 10 year mark so he is in for the full 20, at least.

Quoting TippyD:

TippyD
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM

good luck!! we have hopes for our next shore duty as well!!  we will see though.. lol..

Quoting SlapItHigh:

He just told me today he's thinking more and more about staying in and doing two more tours because the second will be another shore duty and he has a specific one in mind.  We shall see :).

Katkinson
by Kristin on Sep. 14, 2013 at 5:44 PM

he's just retiring at 20 so he can transfer the gi bill to the kids. .. unless they change that rule. 

no extra career goal, that i know of .  i think the'd like more rank but it's not a goal of his. 

DH doesn't want to stay in past 20, because then the related civilian jobs go to other guys who can retire from THEIR company as well. 

If he gets out at 20, he'll still be able to put in 20 at another company or at least a long while at another company.  I'm gunna push him for double retirement!! WOOT WOOT!

lol. 

MY PERSONAL GOAL is to have my graduate degree by the time DH retires so I can start job hunting for a "professional" job as soon as we get settled in civilian life.  . It's lookin' like I have 7 years.  I only have an associates, so i better get my butt in gear!

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Sep. 14, 2013 at 6:26 PM

The goal today is to get that 20 year mark. He has about 3 years to go! Dh would like to stay in until the military "kicks" him out, however with the way the military is cutting back, the main goal is to hit 20. He would like to hit MSgt before retirement, but that was a couple years ago and he still has to make Gunny so we shall see. After retirement, I will be working full time while he goes to school for Automotive work, he would then like to open his own repair buisness but is open to working for someone else.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Mines going to retire if we make rank as needed. We almost hit tenure this last time but got lucky the last try. The plan for after hasn't completely come together. We have 12 more years, a lot can change by then
TishHughes
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM
I HOPE to retire as at least a E7 (SFC). If that doesn't happen, oh well. As long as I make it to 20, I'm good. If I don't, oh well again.

I was stressing out about it but not anymore. There's life outside of the military.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)