Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speaking of having a plan...

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think your DH will retire at 20 years or stay in longer?  (Obviously for those service members who do plan to retire and not get out.)  Do they have goals for their career path?  Staying until x amount of years?  Retiring at a certain rank?  Or do they really care?  

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Replies (31-40):
TishHughes
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM
What does hitting tenure mean?

Quoting Anonymous:

Mines going to retire if we make rank as needed. We almost hit tenure this last time but got lucky the last try. The plan for after hasn't completely come together. We have 12 more years, a lot can change by then
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM
It means if he didn't make rank within a certain time he'd be kicked out.

Quoting TishHughes:

What does hitting tenure mean?

Quoting Anonymous:

Mines going to retire if we make rank as needed. We almost hit tenure this last time but got lucky the last try. The plan for after hasn't completely come together. We have 12 more years, a lot can change by then
meandmyboys124
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM
He plans on 20+ years. He wants to go to school to become an emt afterwards. He is at 7 years now so that may change
SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Hope it works out!!  That sounds like a big change...my dh pretty much stayed where he was when he switched over.  Hopefully the new deployment schedule won't be bad!

Quoting TippyD:

we hope he can get picked up for it:) it would be AWESOME! I am nervous because it would take him away from his current type of deployment schedule, but it is what he wants to do and would set us up better for retirement.. yeah for focusing on the long term and not the now! lol.. wish he could stay where he is and be a LDO, but.. from what he understands it wont:(

Quoting SlapItHigh:

This was the same for my dh.  He did end up going LDO right around the 10 year mark so he is in for the full 20, at least.

Quoting TippyD:

he wants to go LDO so if he can get it, it is a for SURE 20+ years in because he has to commit to another 10 years.. may stay in longer at that point but IDK.. at this point he can get out when he wants. if he is in for 19 years and decides to get out, I support it. He is the one working so it is up to him if he stays in.. if he decides to get out, he is like 4 classes or something like that away from his bachelors, soo he is trying to finish that, but his rate allows for decent jobs in the "real world" :)

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Thanks!  Yeah, I believe it when I see it, lol!

Quoting TippyD:

good luck!! we have hopes for our next shore duty as well!!  we will see though.. lol..

Quoting SlapItHigh:

He just told me today he's thinking more and more about staying in and doing two more tours because the second will be another shore duty and he has a specific one in mind.  We shall see :).

krys1025
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:48 AM
Hubby wants to retire at 20.. Or he jokes until they kick him out lol!! He wants to make it to Master Sergeant.
Oddy_Knocky
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:54 AM
20 and done.

5.5 left!
karla41164
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM

My dh is doing 24 then getting out! Plans on after no idea!! His plan is to watch the grass grow...lol

carakitty
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:16 PM

DH is being medically retired (as an AF Tech Sgt), after 15 years active duty. Neither of us are happy about how this health situation is turning out or the way people in his unit are treating him. He has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia as a result of his deployments to the Gulf War. Right now he's going into work part time, about 8 hours a week. The rest of the time he's drifting in and out of sleep on the recliner in the living room because he usually hurts too much to do anything else.

We don't really have a plan. He still has a very strong desire to work but his body simply will not let him do so to the point where a company would hire him. That causes him much frustration. We are only in our mid-30's but his health is like someone in a retirement home. It looks like his retirement money will be enough for us to still live comfortably without me getting a job but I want to anyway so we have extra money to help out with stuff. I'd love to hire a gardener to come by once a week or every other week, and I'd love to have a housekeeper come in once a month to help me get the deep cleaning done.

DH loves his aquariums. We've talked about selling live corals, live food, and breeding fish to sell.  This would be something that he could reasonably do because he could take small, frequent breaks when he needs to and figuring out the logistics of the fish care keeps his brain sharp.

I am trying to get my own pet care business started up, and right now I'm feeling frustrated with my two clients. I'm not really seeing the fruits of my labors yet and even though I started on this just one month ago I already feel like giving up.

I'm also applying to several retail jobs but I'm not hearing anything back from them. It is getting to be pretty stressful. Sure, we're getting by OK but we don't have true financial security right now. We've had to take out a loan from the bank, borrow money from my parents, and get on a deferred payment plan from the school I used to go to but we're still paying off the tuition from it (I practically hate that school now, don't get me started on them!).

Things are turning out so different than how we thought they would!  Just a couple years ago we were thinking that DH would stay Active Duty the full 20 years and then get hired as a contractor at his AF job or out at Raytheon or Lockheed Martin or something. We were looking at having quite the comfortable lifestyle coming to us.

MissImperfect
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM

My husband plans to stay in till 20. Depending on his rank at the time he may stay in longer. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)