Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

geobach questions

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:59 PM
  • 11 Replies
So hubby will be going to cali in Jan for 7 months. The baby and I will be staying behind. I do have amazing job here in FL but just got offered a better position in NJ (which is where my family is). The navy offered to pay for move to cali. Does anyone know if they would pay for the move from FL to NJ? I don't think they will but dh is swearing they would. Any advice Thanks
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlogsdon
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:06 PM
No idea. I don't think they would, but I've never been in that situation so I can't say for sure. I'm sure someone else probably has a better idea though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM
I wouldn't think so but I'm no expert. I'm surprised they would wen pay for you to move to CA if its only for 7 months. Normally they won't pay for a move unless the AD member be there for at least a year. Dh has had to go to CA twice for that long (longer actually) and they would not move us so I had no choice but to stay behind.
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Wen = even
Dyac
meandmyboys124
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM
with geo batch, you have to pay to move yourself. I've had several neighbours do since and they paid out of pocket 100% except once where it was medically necessary that she move home.
dh is navy but have seen it done this way for coast guard and marines as well.
Tigger0421
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
That's what I expected. We have enough saved up if I decide to. Just trying to figure out if the job is really worth going through all the hassel of moving
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I wouldn't think so but I'm no expert. I'm surprised they would wen pay for you to move to CA if its only for 7 months. Normally they won't pay for a move unless the AD member be there for at least a year. Dh has had to go to CA twice for that long (longer actually) and they would not move us so I had no choice but to stay behind.

The Marines will pcs you if it is 6 months+. OP I do not know if they will move you. Hopefully someone has answers.

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Really? That's awesome!

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

The Marines will pcs you if it is 6 months+. OP I do not know if they will move you. Hopefully someone has answers.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:56 AM

Back in 2007, my husband had 8 month orders to a school in Groton, CT.  We were living in Hawaii at the time.  The Navy moved our family to CT for that time with no problem.  Now, if I would have wanted to move elsewhere while my husband moved to CT, I highly doubt they would have done that.  They would have most likely moved my husband to the place where he was to be stationed for x amount of months and if his family didn't choose to go, then that was our choice at the time.  They had no problem moving us for a short amount of time for that school.

In 2010, my husband went back to Groton, CT with his submarine.  It was a change of homeport, and my son and I couldn't move there due to EFMP status, so my husband moved there by himself (geo bach) for about 6 months.  There wasn't much "moving" to be done as he lived in the barracks during that time, but he was paid mileage for his move and that's about it.  We also received separation pay while he was there...but that was ONLY because my son and I could NOT move there due to EFMP status.  If a family can move and chooses not to, the service member doesn't get separation pay.  

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:37 AM

technically yes, this is called a designated move and will pay the allowances based on the disance from FL to NJ.

you can also do a split shipment of HHG's from FL to CA and from FL to NJ. this is called a designated move.

you can also do a Partial PPM from FL to CA ( your DH takes what he needs in his car, and do a gov contracted move to NJ ( you can also do a PPM from FL to NJ, but I think you would lose money doing it this way.

the only reason this is allowed is because your moving on orders.

this is from the JFTR Chapter 5 ( legal heir is spouse or dependent)

1. General. A member may have HHG transported between any locations. However, the GOV’T’s expense,

other than from a previous PDS or other authorized point to the new PDS, other authorized location or home of

legal heir, is limited to that allowed for the member’s maximum PCS HHG weight allowance transported in one

lot from the last PDS, or from the actual HHG location, to the new PDS or home of the legal heir, whichever

results in a lesser cost to the GOV’T.

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Wow. I really didn't think they would, but it seems like they might?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN