Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Got me thinking...

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:41 AM
  • 25 Replies
The VA loan question got me thinking. How do you choose your realtor and lender? We are looking into buying a home (our first) and I'm talking to a realtor that came recommended by a friend, but I'm not sure it's a good fit. We won't be in the area for another few months, so I understand we might not be high on her list of priorities, I just expected a bit more effort than I've seen so far.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krys1025
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:53 AM
If you don't seem high on her priority list I'd look for another one. We also used a recommendation from a friend. This lady was a work horse for us, she was constantly emailing, calling and checking out places that we might like before she took us to see them.

Look up reviews for realtors online possibly?
mlogsdon
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Quoting krys1025:

If you don't seem high on her priority list I'd look for another one. We also used a recommendation from a friend. This lady was a work horse for us, she was constantly emailing, calling and checking out places that we might like before she took us to see them.

Look up reviews for realtors online possibly?

Thats what I was hoping for... Since we have never bought before I was really hoping for some guidance. This woman has great reviews, lots from first time buyers and those that started their search before PCSing. Im surprised, though maybe she has just had an off week. 

USAFamily
by Melissa on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Hiring a realtor is just like hiring anyone to do a job for you. Get one recommended to you, google them, and have a sit down interview with them to see if you mesh.

Lenders are all the same- the only difference are the fees they charge at closing. Compare origination fees, application fees, and points associated with the loan and interest rate you want. Do this with multiple lenders. The can give you a 'good faith estimate' for free that will list those fees. Whoever comes out cheapest, go with them.
MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:49 AM
I found my realtor by chance. I left a voicemail about a few houses and she called me back. I liked her the minute I heard her voice.

We found and signed our house in less than two months. Hubby was in Cuba on IA orders for a year, so as a first time buyer I was confused on a lot of things. She helped me understand the loan docs usaa sent and was always there to answer my questions. We used his VA loan to buy the house. After we closed on the house she invited me and dd over for Easter brunch.

She's now our property manager and I'll never buy another house without her. Even if I'm in another state, I'll still go with her first.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with Melissa here.  Definitely choose carefully and interview them.  We had a realtor recommended to us once that really didn't know much about the specific area we wanted to live in...she was more experienced in areas outside of the one we wanted.  She referred to us another agent who knew more about our area.  He was retired military and turned out to be wonderful!  We have used him twice now.  Good luck!

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:44 AM
1 mom liked this

we found our realtor on line and by calling local agencies. we had 2 lenders we were going to go with- either USAA or NFCU.

I talked to 3-4 agents before I found the right one- we started chatting about 5 months before the move, and only like 1 time a week, when we got down to 30 days we had out pre approval and our tickets puchased to fly down, we talked almost every day either by email or phone.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:36 AM

We rented a house for a year, then just purchased it from the owners, who weren't returning. It's the easiest way to go about it. The VA loan makes everything super simple. We used the realtor who was good friends with the owner. Easy peasy.

That said, we'll never own again until my husband retires and we know we're staying put. Ownership is a pain in the ass, I actually enjoy renting much more. It's so nice when something goes wrong to just be able to call up and say ________________ is broken and needs replaced. Or, hey that massive hail storm knocked 60 softball sized holes in your roof, you had better call your insurance. (True story, that happened to us.)

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Definitely interview more than one until you feel confident with their personality and goals.  I have had realtors recommended to me that I didn't connect with at all.  Also, let the person know what kinds of contact you want and what your expectations are.  Some realtors are more interested in being a seller's agent than a buyer's agent. 

I also agree with the response about lenders and fees.  The fees can vary considerably.

Good luck and happy househunting!

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:42 AM

When my ex and I were looking into buying a house I was totally put off by our realtor. He was more concerned with trying to sell every house we came into, rather than what we were interested in, and most of the houses he showed us were his own listings. So glad we decided to wait it out another year rather than get talked into an ugly house (...and because we didn't work out lol). When DH and I decide to buy a house, i DO want to be high on the list of priorities. I won't stick with a realtor I'm not comfortable with or someone who's not willing to look for what we're interested in. I wish you luck, if you don't like them, find someone else!

TippyD
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

our realtor was also our best friends and was amazing,  and for lender, we went with two banks we trusted and used the one with lower interest..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)