Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

clean eating

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 16 Replies

hello.

I am curious how many wives have switched their families meals to clean foods.  Is it doable? Is it affordable? One of the wives here sells wildtree products but they are so expensive, but I am really wanting to try eating cleaner. I have already started baking my own breads instead of buying them and made a really good mac and cheese with homemade pasta and almond milk, but it was incredibly time consuming and seemed to cost more than it was worth.

thank you,

Cathy

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I am not a totalitarian when it comes to healthy clean eating, but I have, over several years, switched my family to eating a large majority of whole foods, seasonal and local produce, and organic/homegrown when possible and affordable.  When I do buy processed foods, I tend to check the label to make sure the ingredients lists are short and comprised of real foods (no chemicals and highly processed ingredients).  My girls get very little processed sugar or excessive salt (though my husband and I cheat when they are asleep).

As you get savvy on it, you can find the good deals and get to know what is worth it and what is not based on your budget.   You also will find recipes that are easy to make with simple ingredients that keep costs down.  Take it in baby steps and try not to overwhelm yourself by changing too much at once.

navywifey333
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:51 PM
We are on the paleo diet and have been making the change to gluten free. Our grocery bill is way less now than when we were buying all the processed foods and snacks.
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Im in the process of switching our household to cleaner eating. Hubby is going to have a hard time with it when he gets home, but he will adapt.
Im taking my time with it and really making it a life change. I know myself, and if I just jump into it full force I'll fallfoff the wagon and scarf down a bag of double stuffs. Lol
mlogsdon
by Mary on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Eh. I dont follow it 100%. I try to eat clean and healthy, but when my son only wants to eat easy Mac lol, it doesn't always work. For the most part, though, my grocery bill has been smaller since I cook most things from scratch. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm Paleo. I don't call it a diet, because it's not. It's absolutely not. If anyone sees it as a diet, or as a temporary fix, then prepare for disappointment when you go back to "normal".  It's a way of life. 

People always ask me if it costs more, and the answer is yes and no. Yes, fresh, organic food is more expensive, however, you are saving the money from what you would normally be loading your cart with. I call it "filler food", bread, cookies, chips, etc. 

Is it more time consuming? Yes. Is it worth it? Absolutely. 

Now, all things taken into consideration, unless you live on your own commune, grow all of your own food, and never eat out, socialize, or drink alcohol, it's nearly impossible to live 100%  Paleo. I think you are doing good if your ratio is 80/20. That is what I shoot for. I'm a coffee and wine drinker, and every once in a while I like a cupcake made with regular sugar and flour. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh, and OP, to me you aren't eating clean if you eat wheat on a regular basis. Wheat is the dirtiest, most genetically modified substance you can put in your body. It's great that you make your own bread and pasta,  but they aren't clean unless you are buying certified non-gmo, organic wheat. Even then you are spiking your insulin and converting every bite of that to fat. 

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I thought this right away when I saw wheat.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Oh, and OP, to me you aren't eating clean if you eat wheat on a regular basis. Wheat is the dirtiest, most genetically modified substance you can put in your body. It's great that you make your own bread and pasta,  but they aren't clean unless you are buying certified non-gmo, organic wheat. Even then you are spiking your insulin and converting every bite of that to fat. 

sahmw2010
by Beth on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Its funny how wheat os viewed as healthy. Im not on it anymore an haven't been for a while now, but when i was on WIC i had to get wheat bread and wheat cheerios in order for it to be covered. Lol. And people around here will say that if you must eat bread, eat wheat bread, my answer is just "eeewww"

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

I thought this right away when I saw wheat.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I eat very clean...fruits, veggies, and meat...that's the bulk of my diet per say.  I'm a long distance runner so I do need carbs but I tend to get them from fruit and granola bars on long run days.  I don't eat bread, pasta, or wheat...I used to, but I'm making the change:)

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I'm attempting paleo. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)