Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

hello.

I am curious how many wives have switched their families meals to clean foods.  Is it doable? Is it affordable? One of the wives here sells wildtree products but they are so expensive, but I am really wanting to try eating cleaner. I have already started baking my own breads instead of buying them and made a really good mac and cheese with homemade pasta and almond milk, but it was incredibly time consuming and seemed to cost more than it was worth.

thank you,

Cathy

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Replies (11-16):
anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I eat organics and tend to buy and freeze veggies from the farm markets over the summer.  I feel like I save by buying from local farmers and freezing without compromising quality.   I also like to buy in season and avoid some of the produce from South America that comes in the winter.  I do eat wheat...I'm so addicted to whole grain bread from Whole Foods.  :(

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:29 PM

i have no idea what paleo means. So. No. 

mlogsdon
by Mary on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM
I don't eat bread or cereal or most things like that. But sometimes nothing hits the spot like some pasta lol. I don't eat it often but I do ;-) mostly I eat lean protein and veggies. Not even really much fruit.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I eat very clean...fruits, veggies, and meat...that's the bulk of my diet per say.  I'm a long distance runner so I do need carbs but I tend to get them from fruit and granola bars on long run days.  I don't eat bread, pasta, or wheat...I used to, but I'm making the change:)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Goring up I remember my parents only feeding us whole wheat stuff. I don't eat pasta, breads or grains etc... Through trial and error with my weight loss journey I realized I do better without it for now. I got a coach because I want to compete... I do fish , chicken, salad veggies, fruits etc. but the more you educates yourself the more you are surprisedwhat is healthy and good for you

Quoting sahmw2010:

Its funny how wheat os viewed as healthy. Im not on it anymore an haven't been for a while now, but when i was on WIC i had to get wheat bread and wheat cheerios in order for it to be covered. Lol. And people around here will say that if you must eat bread, eat wheat bread, my answer is just "eeewww"

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

I thought this right away when I saw wheat.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Oh, and OP, to me you aren't eating clean if you eat wheat on a regular basis. Wheat is the dirtiest, most genetically modified substance you can put in your body. It's great that you make your own bread and pasta,  but they aren't clean unless you are buying certified non-gmo, organic wheat. Even then you are spiking your insulin and converting every bite of that to fat. 

luckystars2012
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

We eat mostly whole foods, very little processed.  We buy from local farmers for our produce, dairy, and as much meat as we can.  I dont believe in "meals in a box".  There are very few, if any cans in my pantry that are store bought.  We do can our own food as much as we can or get it locally canned from people around here.  We eat very little pasta, we have found many veggie alternatives that taste just as good if not better.  My fave-SPaghetti squash in place of spaghetti noodles.

It is a lot cheaper once you make it a lifestyle.  

I spend MAYBE 240 a month for a family of 4 and we eat very well.  

What people dont realize is that whole, natural foods KEEP YOU FULL longer than processed stuff.  Your body also becomes better at processing what you take in and uses it more efficiently, and there is less waste.  The reduction of preservatives and sodium in your body makes a hude difference as well.

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm picking up my share (1/4) of a grass fed steer this Saturday :).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)