Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

This makes me sick...

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM
  • 130 Replies

This makes me sick. As a parent of a disabled child who will remain disabled well into his adult life, the fact that these residents are fighting with the Commissioner to not have group homes built in their neighborhood is just disgusting. These group homes are for adults with physical and mental disabilities. Living in a group home will give these people a chance at living in a home instead of a hospital. These homes will be run by professional companies that have millions of government regulations they HAVE to abide by; these homes will also be staffed with full-time nurses as many of these patients have trachs, feeding tubes, & severe disabilities. These York County residents should be ashamed of their behavior. Instead of fighting this, they should spend a little of their time volunteering at group homes like this so they can get a new perspective on life.

Residents fight proposed group home

WAVY/Andy Fox
WAVY/Andy Fox

YORK COUNTY, Va. (WAVY) - Not in my backyard -- that's what people in York County are saying about a group home planned for their neighborhood. Wednesday night residents fought against the facility at a public hearing.

You can see the sign at the front of the Lackey neighborhood: “Help fight the 3 mental facilities planned for this neighborhood.”

The controversy surrounds Colonial Behavioral Health’s proposal to build three group homes for 12 adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in the Lackey neighborhood, off Old Williamsburg Road.

The homes would replace CBH's current group home program that uses leased apartments in York County. Part of the reason for the change is because David Coe with CBH says it's important for the special needs adults to have their own bedrooms and back yards.

But local residents don't want to share their backyards. Dozens of people signed up to speak about the issue in front of elected officials at a public hearing Wednesday night at York Hall on Main Street.

Some residents voiced concern because they feel as if they haven't had a say in this process. Others feel as if the homes could bring dangerous people -- such as those suffering from schizophrenia, bi polar disorder, or substance abuse -- near the place they live. And some say the group homes will bring down property values.

Coe says law won't allow people with substance abuse problems to move into the group homes

The hearing began at 7 p.m. and lasted more than three hours. Border commissioners asked CBH to consider building two homes instead of three, but Coe would not compromise.

"It's all three or none," he said at the hearing.

Despite Coe's resistance, the Planning Commission voted three to one to recommend a two-group-home proposal instead of three group homes. The final decision has not yet been made -- the recommendation will go before the Board of Supervisors, who will put an end to the dispute.

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM
I kind of see where they are coming from with the property values of the area. I wouldn't be happy if I spent a good amount on a home in a nice safe area just to have something come along and take that value down.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I know where that is...

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:05 PM
3 moms liked this

Just because the residents state their home values will go down doesn't mean that will actually happen.  They are ignorant people.  How will a brand new large home built specifically for handicap and severely disabled people bring down your property value.  These homes will look a lot like other homes in the neighborhood; they will just be adaptive to those in wheelchairs and such.  The homes will house people who can't live alone as they are so severely disabled they can't function without a full time nurse.  Really?  How will that bring down your property value?  

My next door neighbor's house brings down my property value because their house looks like pure shit all the time.  They have let the yard go, crap all in the yard from their kids, house looks horrible...they don't take care of it.  I would MUCH rather one of these group homes next to my house than my current neighbors.  At least I would know the house would look nice, be well taken care of, yard kept nice, clean, etc.  

Quoting Anonymous:

I kind of see where they are coming from with the property values of the area. I wouldn't be happy if I spent a good amount on a home in a nice safe area just to have something come along and take that value down.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Me too:)  It's in the next county over from me.  I live in Newport News, and they are actually going to build some group homes in my city as well as York County (Yorktown).  They are welcome to build them in my neighborhood....doesn't bother me one bit.  My neighbors on one side are horrible...their house is in horrible shape and they don't take care of it.  My neighbor on the other side is an elderly woman whom I've yet to meet but she hires someone to keep her house and yard looking nice.  

Quoting jas_momof2:

I know where that is...

sahmw2010
by Beth on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Wow. That pisses me off too! My childhood friend lives in a group home, i think group homes are an awesome idea that came along. Lol. And i dont see how having a group home in the area would depreciate house value and neighborhood safety.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:12 PM

They would be taken care of better than some of the houses on my street...that's for sure!  

Quoting sahmw2010:

Wow. That pisses me off too! My childhood friend lives in a group home, i think group homes are an awesome idea that came along. Lol. And i dont see how having a group home in the area would depreciate house value and neighborhood safety.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Stupid ignorant people. Scared of something that to THEM "is not normal" that they start spewing ignorant claims trying to gather a crowd.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

They would be taken care of better than some of the houses on my street...that's for sure!  

Quoting sahmw2010:

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:17 PM

That is sad.  My Brother in Law is autistic and lives in a group home, it has been such a good thing for him and helped him develop skills he needs to live alone.  He just got authorized to get his own apartment with intermittent supervision, and he is SO excited.  I don't understand how these people think that it will negatively impact their community, they are making it sound like the homes are for psychological disorders, not mental disabilities.  I wonder if there is truth to that, or if they are just ignorant as to what a group home for disabled adults is.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I think they are ignorant or perhaps misinformed...or they are just assuming things.  This was on the local news tonight...the footage they showed of these patients was just precious.  This one man in a wheelchair has lived most of his life in a hospital, very grumpy and not a happy man, but after moving in his new group home, he was smiling.  He has a trach and a feeding tube and couldn't even hold his head up, but he was happy...that is what life is about.  

Quoting TonyaLea:

That is sad.  My Brother in Law is autistic and lives in a group home, it has been such a good thing for him and helped him develop skills he needs to live alone.  He just got authorized to get his own apartment with intermittent supervision, and he is SO excited.  I don't understand how these people think that it will negatively impact their community, they are making it sound like the homes are for psychological disorders, not mental disabilities.  I wonder if there is truth to that, or if they are just ignorant as to what a group home for disabled adults is.

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Oh wow, I haven't heard of this.  I try not to watch the news.  I hope they are not successful in their attempts to stop this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN