Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

This makes me sick. As a parent of a disabled child who will remain disabled well into his adult life, the fact that these residents are fighting with the Commissioner to not have group homes built in their neighborhood is just disgusting. These group homes are for adults with physical and mental disabilities. Living in a group home will give these people a chance at living in a home instead of a hospital. These homes will be run by professional companies that have millions of government regulations they HAVE to abide by; these homes will also be staffed with full-time nurses as many of these patients have trachs, feeding tubes, & severe disabilities. These York County residents should be ashamed of their behavior. Instead of fighting this, they should spend a little of their time volunteering at group homes like this so they can get a new perspective on life.

Residents fight proposed group home

WAVY/Andy Fox
WAVY/Andy Fox

YORK COUNTY, Va. (WAVY) - Not in my backyard -- that's what people in York County are saying about a group home planned for their neighborhood. Wednesday night residents fought against the facility at a public hearing.

You can see the sign at the front of the Lackey neighborhood: “Help fight the 3 mental facilities planned for this neighborhood.”

The controversy surrounds Colonial Behavioral Health’s proposal to build three group homes for 12 adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in the Lackey neighborhood, off Old Williamsburg Road.

The homes would replace CBH's current group home program that uses leased apartments in York County. Part of the reason for the change is because David Coe with CBH says it's important for the special needs adults to have their own bedrooms and back yards.

But local residents don't want to share their backyards. Dozens of people signed up to speak about the issue in front of elected officials at a public hearing Wednesday night at York Hall on Main Street.

Some residents voiced concern because they feel as if they haven't had a say in this process. Others feel as if the homes could bring dangerous people -- such as those suffering from schizophrenia, bi polar disorder, or substance abuse -- near the place they live. And some say the group homes will bring down property values.

Coe says law won't allow people with substance abuse problems to move into the group homes

The hearing began at 7 p.m. and lasted more than three hours. Border commissioners asked CBH to consider building two homes instead of three, but Coe would not compromise.

"It's all three or none," he said at the hearing.

Despite Coe's resistance, the Planning Commission voted three to one to recommend a two-group-home proposal instead of three group homes. The final decision has not yet been made -- the recommendation will go before the Board of Supervisors, who will put an end to the dispute.

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Replies (121-130):
NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM
2 moms liked this
What you are arguing, policing who can live where and in what type of environment is a huge slippery slope. So you say they can't build around a subdivision. What if they were there first and people want to build one? Should they have to leave? After all, in your opinion they should be treated like convicts or second class citizens. Their needs and lives come second.
Quoting luckystars2012:

We're a family, we live on a street.  I wouldnt call it a neighborhood by any means.  In fact I live in athe middle of a bunch of farm land.  I can name 50 streets in my town that people live on but they are not "neighborhoods" or subdivisions.  

There are plenty of places where homes can be built for group home purposes that are not in the middle of a neighborhood where families have formed a community.  

Quoting mlogsdon:

That's what I'm saying. What are these "family neighborhoods" she speaks of. No subdivisions. Got it. No families living in a neighborhood. Uhh... That's where I'm lost. What does that leave? Any family living on any street makes it a family neighborhood.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I know, your assertions are that outragoues!

We aren't following you and it might be because there is no real answer.  I can name 20 streets in my area that are not in neighborhoods and all of them have famlies living on them.  Do you mind if they live near college kids?  Singles?  Families as long as there is no HOA?

Quoting luckystars2012:

Oh criminy.  Now I KNOw youre being intentionally obtuse.  

smh. 

Quoting SlapItHigh:

This doesn't make sense.  There are plenty of families living outside of subdivisions.  Are you just trying to say that they should not live around other humans?  Someone should find a plot of land away from humans and hide them there?  They aren't fit to be around people because they are problems and they are sex offenders?

Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.  Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you
are inevitably ruined - Patrick Henry

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:34 PM
2 moms liked this

That is totally out of line and completely uncalled for. It also shows your character.

Quoting luckystars2012:

Yes I said I wouldnt want one in my subdivision either, meaning I understand what these residents are saying.  I was speaking hypothetically, as in if I lived in a family subdivision and someone wanted to build a special needs home in it I would protest due to my own past experiences with it.   

I said there are plenty of places outside of subdivisions and established family neighborhoods hat would be appropriate for a group home.  Which there are, in every town.  

I really think you belong in one of these group homes.  You are so desperate to try and twist everything I say into something else, except youre failing miserably and making yourself look horribly unintelligent.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

"All of the many reasons you listed" still apply to families who live outside of actual neighborhoods.  You said you wouldn't want this around "your neighborhood" because of your personal experience yet now you state you don't live in a neighborhood and the example you provide for where they can live is where your own home is located.  

Quoting luckystars2012:

If they are not in neigborhoods or subdivisions then theyre not in neighborhoods or subdivisions.  its pretty simple.  You keep going round and round regurgitating the same crap because you are too simple minded to understand what a subdivision/family neighborhood is.  I cant help you understand if your brain is that small.

Group homes do not belong in family neighborhoods, for all the many reasons I have listed plus more.  Its that simple.  There are plenty of places where they can be that are not located in a family neighborhood/subdivision.  It really doesnt get any more simple than that, and if you cant comprehend it then maybe you belong in one of those homes.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

We aren't following you and it might be because there is no real answer.  I can name 20 streets in my area that are not in neighborhoods and all of them have famlies living on them.  Do you mind if they live near college kids?  Singles?  Families as long as there is no HOA?

Quoting luckystars2012:

smh. 

Quoting SlapItHigh:

This doesn't make sense.  There are plenty of families living outside of subdivisions.  Are you just trying to say that they should not live around other humans?  Someone should find a plot of land away from humans and hide them there?  They aren't fit to be around people because they are problems and they are sex offenders?

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually it does and was beautifully tied in. Should I add in the obligatory passive aggressive lol? Or perhaps SMH.

Quoting luckystars2012:

That doesn't even make sense. Smh.

Quoting adrianna1043:

Oh, thank you Hitler! I'll get my papers for you straight away.

Quoting luckystars2012:

You're entitled to your opinion dear :-)

Quoting adrianna1043:

Using a double negative while trying to tell someone how "dumb" you think they are, makes YOU look dumb.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

You are pretty freaking awesome and hit it right on the money.

Quoting adrianna1043:

Let me break it down for you. Your opinions that I've read are pretty hitleresc. I haven't read them all because they don't make sense. Back in WWII Hitler also didn't like members of society and did not believe that they " belonged" either. When someone didn't have their papers they were killed. So it was a play on words, smh.

Quoting luckystars2012:

Quoting adrianna1043:

Quoting luckystars2012:

Quoting adrianna1043:

Using a double negative while trying to tell someone how "dumb" you think they are, makes YOU look dumb.

Quoting luckystars2012:

Yes I said I wouldnt want one in my subdivision either, meaning I understand what these residents are saying.  I was speaking hypothetically, as in if I lived in a family subdivision and someone wanted to build a special needs home in it I would protest due to my own past experiences with it.   

I said there are plenty of places outside of subdivisions and established family neighborhoods hat would be appropriate for a group home.  Which there are, in every town.  

I really think you belong in one of these group homes.  You are so desperate to try and twist everything I say into something else, except youre failing miserably and making yourself look horribly unintelligent.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

"All of the many reasons you listed" still apply to families who live outside of actual neighborhoods.  You said you wouldn't want this around "your neighborhood" because of your personal experience yet now you state you don't live in a neighborhood and the example you provide for where they can live is where your own home is located.  

Quoting luckystars2012:

If they are not in neigborhoods or subdivisions then theyre not in neighborhoods or subdivisions.  its pretty simple.  You keep going round and round regurgitating the same crap because you are too simple minded to understand what a subdivision/family neighborhood is.  I cant help you understand if your brain is that small.

Group homes do not belong in family neighborhoods, for all the many reasons I have listed plus more.  Its that simple.  There are plenty of places where they can be that are not located in a family neighborhood/subdivision.  It really doesnt get any more simple than that, and if you cant comprehend it then maybe you belong in one of those homes.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting luckystars2012:

smh. 

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.  Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you
are inevitably ruined - Patrick Henry

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM
2 moms liked this

The fact that you are so oblivious as to how you come off is frightening. Your elitist and holier than thou opinions and attitude scream of people like Hitler.

Quoting luckystars2012:

Lol okay, so because I wouldn't want a group Home in my neighborhood, and because I acknowledge your right to an opinion, I'm like Hitler? Smh.

Wow.

Quoting adrianna1043:

Let me break it down for you. Your opinions that I've read are pretty hitleresc. I haven't read them all because they don't make sense. Back in WWII Hitler also didn't like members of society and did not believe that they " belonged" either. When someone didn't have their papers they were killed. So it was a play on words, smh.

Quoting luckystars2012:

Quoting adrianna1043:

Quoting luckystars2012:

Quoting adrianna1043:

Quoting luckystars2012:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting luckystars2012:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting luckystars2012:

smh. 

Quoting SlapItHigh:

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM
3 moms liked this
Just doing my part, pointing out the obvious. Its sad that people treat the disabled like they are not people.

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

You are pretty freaking awesome and hit it right on the money.

Quoting adrianna1043:

Quoting luckystars2012:

Quoting adrianna1043:

Quoting luckystars2012:

Quoting adrianna1043:

Quoting luckystars2012:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting luckystars2012:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting luckystars2012:

smh. 

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM
2 moms liked this

The sad thing is that she was trying to insult me by stating that I am like one of them which would only be an insult to me if the people in these homes are something bad.  What she really did was insult THEM....again!  Why should I be in one of these homes?  Because according to her, I am desperate, unintelligent, try to twist things and am a miserable failure.   So basically, the disabled are all of the above in her eyes.

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

That is totally out of line and completely uncalled for. It also shows your character.

Quoting luckystars2012:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting luckystars2012:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting luckystars2012:

smh. 

Quoting SlapItHigh:

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

out of all the crap that people have had their hands slapped for posting in this group, cm is silent on what is, for all intents and purposes, hate speech.

SHAME ON YOU CAFEMOM.... oh, wait. You'll delete me for calling you on the carpet.

mlogsdon
by Mary on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm surprised the whole thing hasn't disappeared by now. I really thought it would.

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

out of all the crap that people have had their hands slapped for posting in this group, cm is silent on what is, for all intents and purposes, hate speech.

SHAME ON YOU CAFEMOM.... oh, wait. You'll delete me for calling you on the carpet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Actually doesn't surprise me.

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)