Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Enlisted to Officer (serious opinions please)

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 5:05 AM
  • 28 Replies

Okay ladies...I have a few questions.  My husband is seriously considering putting in an LDO package this coming year.  I don't typically talk about rank stuff online but I wanted some opinions from those who have done this before.  My husband is in the Navy, and he's a Chief (E-7), elligible for Senior Chief (E-8).  He's been active duty for almost 15 years, and he made Chief at 11 years.  He's been approached several times by LDOs in his command about putting in a package and he was called in to a meeting yesterday afternoon by some senior LDOs telling him that he NEEDS to put in a package as he'd be stupid not to (they were joking but you get the point).  He came home telling me about it, and we were seriously discussing this over dinner.

He's a submariner and I know he'd have to go surface fleet for this as there aren't LDOs (at least not many) on subs, which is fine.  What I like about the LDO program is that he can go do 2 years on a ship, then most likely have a shore duty type job (no deployments) for the remainder of his career (or the majority of it).  That is very appealing to our family since we have a special needs child with a lot of medical needs.  The ability for him to stay in close to 30 years is extremely appealing to both of us...better retirement for sure!  

Any serious thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated!

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 5:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Hello! I'm an army wife. My husband has been in for 10 years now. It honestly depends what the two of you think will be best for your family. I know that raising his rank will get slightly better pay, but also they will want to see him get as high as he can as quick as he can. I know that in the army the longer someone stays the rank they are (e5-e7) they're more likely to get pushed to retire (one of the men in my husbands unit has been the same rank for a while now & this is happening to him). I know it's hard when they're away. My husband has been deployed 3 times and is constantly gone for training & traveling because of his job. Which always leaves me home alone with our son. No deployments would be a plus! That way you won't have to worry about 'combat zones'. Though having him gone for 2 years on a ship is a long time. And will be very hard. You two just need to sit down and put everything on the table. Think things through and do something like a 'pros and cons' list. That's my opinion =]
UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this

we have watched several of my husband's Chiefs go LDO. Of course, they still get heckled by the Chief Mess, but other than betraying the mess  ;), they completely enjoy it, lol. I have a couple spouses I still keep in touch week with weekly calls. We are Seabees, no ships for us. But its 2 year sea, 2 year shore duty for Seabee LDO's. They enjoy the quick rotations, as they don't have to get used to one place for too long. Their spouses do work longer hours and most weekends though.  However the benefit of retiring as an office outweighs the added time at work. Good luck. I hope he goes for it.

meandmyboys124
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this
dh is a submariner as well and we have had several friends do this program.
I know that while deployments end for them after the two years on a sub, the work load can triple so he may not be home nearly as much as you would hope. we have two special needs sons as well so I can completely relate to the no deployments issue.
I don't know a ton of information but out of the 6 people we have known to put in for LDO, only 1 regrets it but that is because he thought it would be a cake walk.
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a friend who went LDO- after 2 years he regretted it, before he did it he was planning on doing 30, he did 22 and just got out this past june.

he thought he would be able to go shore side too, but after the 2 years there were no shore side billets in the area and he had to do back to back sea tours.

since you have been part of the miitary for a while,you know to never count on anything until it happens.

karla41164
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I say he should go for it!! My younget son is disabled and having extra help at home is just a godsend!

Keep us updated! My dh is getting out at 24 years unless he makes rank

Katkinson
by Kristin on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

the worst they can say is no!!!!

I'd do it. .. although it may be different for your DH's rate, a lot of the guys my dh works with on subs ( in his rate) are LDO's.  But I personally think surface would be better than subs.  More communications, etc. 

I don't know what your DH's rate is, but for my DH's rate, the pay jump wouldnt' be that big.  Unless LDO's of that rate get paid specially, as well. Which very well could be true.  I honestly have no clue. 

In any event, I see no negatives to it, really.  DH never has put in a package and never will, he was a naughty younger sailor and got an NJP/Captains mast when he was a young pup.  GOod luck!

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

DH was enlisted and went OCS. He had several soldiers that were E7 and E8 that made the switch that were in his class. I can say that early on DH was frustrated with is choice, and still there are times still that he would rather just do the task than to hand down the orders. But that's part of what has made him a good officer. He took the OCS motto to heart "Follow Me" he's a lead by example soldier not lead from behind. He has just entered the "worst rank in the Army"  phase so we'll see how this plays out :)

Over all he is happy with his choice. The good days have out weighed the bad. Command absolutely sucked donkey balls on occasions, but mostly he's loved every single aspect of his choice.

Katkinson
by Kristin on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I am thinking your DH and mine may be the same rate. . . but I understand if you don't want to share.  I would like to tell you I did talk to my friend who's DH has been trying to go LDO for a few cycles now. He is the same rate as my DH.  I heard this from HER, but they were saying they may make it a requirement to do instructor duty at one of the schools in order to qualify.  She was hoping that he got accepted before this took place because he hasn't been.  Something to look in to.  As far as right now, it can really only be classified as a rumor. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Nope. I don't think they are the same rate:) There's definitely no requirement in his rate to do an instructor job first. I know that for a fact. He's not a nuke if that's what you were thinking. Thanks for sharing though!

Quoting Katkinson:

I am thinking your DH and mine may be the same rate. . . but I understand if you don't want to share.  I would like to tell you I did talk to my friend who's DH has been trying to go LDO for a few cycles now. He is the same rate as my DH.  I heard this from HER, but they were saying they may make it a requirement to do instructor duty at one of the schools in order to qualify.  She was hoping that he got accepted before this took place because he hasn't been.  Something to look in to.  As far as right now, it can really only be classified as a rumor. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Thanks for sharing. The Navy works a little differently. You have to be in for a minimum of 10-12 years before putting in an LDO package and a minimum of 14 years for a Warrant officer package. The rate my husband is in will allow him to be enlisted until 22 years as E7 and 26 years as E8. It's an under-manned rate with only 105 of them in the entire Navy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hello! I'm an army wife. My husband has been in for 10 years now. It honestly depends what the two of you think will be best for your family. I know that raising his rank will get slightly better pay, but also they will want to see him get as high as he can as quick as he can. I know that in the army the longer someone stays the rank they are (e5-e7) they're more likely to get pushed to retire (one of the men in my husbands unit has been the same rank for a while now & this is happening to him). I know it's hard when they're away. My husband has been deployed 3 times and is constantly gone for training & traveling because of his job. Which always leaves me home alone with our son. No deployments would be a plus! That way you won't have to worry about 'combat zones'. Though having him gone for 2 years on a ship is a long time. And will be very hard. You two just need to sit down and put everything on the table. Think things through and do something like a 'pros and cons' list. That's my opinion =]
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)