Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

first flight...!

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:42 PM
  • 18 Replies

..with a baby. DD is going to be 6 months when we fly across the country to visit family while dh is deployed. We have one layover, and while I've flown many times, 16+ hours, I've never traveled with an infant. We have to leave at 3am to get to the airport on time, and our layover is only 45 minutes. I'm nervous that something will go wrong, or that she'll be fussy the whole time. How do you go through security? Can I take my big stroller, or should i get one of the cheap little ones?  

Any advice would be great, I'm sure I'm not the first mom to do this.

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlogsdon
by Mary on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:56 PM
I took my big stroller. On the way there it was fine, on the way home they were ridiculous and jammed it through the conveyer belt scanner. Really messed up the handles because they wouldn't let me show them how to close it up properly.

I would have a few new toys with you, and only take them out one at a time as necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM
It's been a long time...but I did fly with my son when he was about 6-7 months old. It was only a 3.5 hr flight with no stops. I kept him swaddled as that's what he liked then. Gave him his pacifier and he was pretty good for the most part. I brought my jeep stroller and it couldn't fit through the belt so they had to check it separately. Overall it went well. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissGore
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM

oh yea, I dont want my stroller messed up, it needs to last another couple years! I guess i will get a smaller one.

Quoting mlogsdon:

I took my big stroller. On the way there it was fine, on the way home they were ridiculous and jammed it through the conveyer belt scanner. Really messed up the handles because they wouldn't let me show them how to close it up properly.

I would have a few new toys with you, and only take them out one at a time as necessary.

MissGore
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Thank you, I have a feeling I'll need a little luck. Too bad dd wont take a paci. I am breastfeeding, so as long as no one freaks out about it I can nurse her to keep her calm. I've heard horror stories about breastfeeding on a flight.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

It's been a long time...but I did fly with my son when he was about 6-7 months old. It was only a 3.5 hr flight with no stops. I kept him swaddled as that's what he liked then. Gave him his pacifier and he was pretty good for the most part. I brought my jeep stroller and it couldn't fit through the belt so they had to check it separately. Overall it went well. Good luck!

twinkersmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Well wear comfortable SLIP ON shoes. That will help going through security. Show your military id. Sometimes they will let you go through a different line then the main public one. We flew to Fl in June. Hubs and the girls were directed to go through a short line. I got to go through a short line but not as short. The non military line was really long. When they pulled hubby and the girls, I almost freaked thinking I had to go through the longest one. They said it is a "thankyou for your service" type of deal. If hubs would have been on orders instead of us just vacationing, I would have gone with them through the same line. Hey, I was happy with the line I was in. Can't complain. I'm sure this is not at all airports but just show your id and maybe you might get a querk. ;)

When my oldest was a baby, we traveled from Guam to Mo. She wouldn't take the paci and I tried to let her have a bottle at take off and landings. She would fall asleep during that time. I invented the puppet monster from a spit cloth. Yep, gotta make do. She was getting restless on the last plane back to Guam. I'm thinking she will be a lap rider but if you do happen to buy her a seat, she will be able to have a bag for baggage. Also check to see if where you are going to be at, they have a program with the DMV for a carseat. They may have a loaner program and that will save you from having to bring one if you don't need it for the plane ride. My mil will mail out a small box ahead of time when she comes to visit us. So that might be helpful but there are some tips on the net on how to pack and fit everything you need. You said you have traveled before anyways.

Good luck. I hope you have a smooth trip and a wonderful time with your family.

MissGore
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Dh laughs at me for wearing flip flops on every flight, even in winter. they make my life easy! i've never tried the military ID, I always just use my drivers license. I'll have to try that. I didn't buy her a seat, she hates the carseat anyways, so I think that would have just been more work. Luckily my mom has about everything a baby could need, she's got 5 kids and 17 grandkids, most of us live out of state.  

Quoting twinkersmom:

Well wear comfortable SLIP ON shoes. That will help going through security. Show your military id. Sometimes they will let you go through a different line then the main public one. We flew to Fl in June. Hubs and the girls were directed to go through a short line. I got to go through a short line but not as short. The non military line was really long. When they pulled hubby and the girls, I almost freaked thinking I had to go through the longest one. They said it is a "thankyou for your service" type of deal. If hubs would have been on orders instead of us just vacationing, I would have gone with them through the same line. Hey, I was happy with the line I was in. Can't complain. I'm sure this is not at all airports but just show your id and maybe you might get a querk. ;)

When my oldest was a baby, we traveled from Guam to Mo. She wouldn't take the paci and I tried to let her have a bottle at take off and landings. She would fall asleep during that time. I invented the puppet monster from a spit cloth. Yep, gotta make do. She was getting restless on the last plane back to Guam. I'm thinking she will be a lap rider but if you do happen to buy her a seat, she will be able to have a bag for baggage. Also check to see if where you are going to be at, they have a program with the DMV for a carseat. They may have a loaner program and that will save you from having to bring one if you don't need it for the plane ride. My mil will mail out a small box ahead of time when she comes to visit us. So that might be helpful but there are some tips on the net on how to pack and fit everything you need. You said you have traveled before anyways.

Good luck. I hope you have a smooth trip and a wonderful time with your family.

twinkersmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh girl! Show that id! A lot of times I have had businesses tell me "oh, you're military! You get a discount!". I would rather they tell me than to ask for one.  

Arib107
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM
aww good luck, im moving overseas next month with a one year old. I guess theirs a first for everything. im getting a smaller stroller because I've heard how horrible they treat strollers.I'm also bringing her carseat because she has her own seat on the plane.( if you do bring a carseat make sure it's airline approved!)
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I flew with son the first time when he was about 8 mos. we have flown a total of about 12 times now(he's 3.8 years). 

Tips: 

if you're child has their own seat on the plane(highly recommend) and you are using a car seat on the plane by the Go-go travel wheelz that attach to the car seat and make it a stroller then check your stroller(for free!) in a stroller travel bag(this is also how I got my bopi pillow to my destinationI just put it in the bag with my stroller(fabulous!) along with extra shoes, toys, etc to keep your suitcase under weight!

if your child is flying on your lap use a baby carrier or wrap(I LOVED my Ergo) you will have to take it off through security but that's it and it makes it much easier to get on and situated on the plane to have your hands free to deal with diaper bag/ backpack or what ever. And don't wear shoes that tie! It will be easier if you can just drop your shoes and slide your feet in with baby in your arms. If you are gate checking the stroller it still has to go through the scanner and you have to take baby out so think as simple and hands free as possible I always fly in flip flops or clogs now!

you are allowed to bring whatever liquids needed for your baby(formula, juice, baby food, etc) if your child uses a bottle bring it and a spare. if your using formula DO NOT reley on the airplane for water, bring your own!)Security will test any liquids but it's not big deal. I highly recommend squeeze pouch baby food if you're baby is eating solids because they are lighter and easier to feed with on an airplane(less spill/breakage worries). If you are breast feeding make sure you have a cover up or blanket for the plane and wear the easiest access nursing shirt you own.

i put toys, books, blankie and clothes(always have 1 full spare outfit for baby AND a ziplock bag because you just never know when you might need it) in 1 bag and food, drinks, etc in a different bag to make it easier at security and to find stuff on the plane.

if your child has a lovey I recommend leaving where you can get to it quick and easy. It has to go through the scanner at security but it's very comforting in the big scary air port and you do not want to be at 50,000 feet when baby wants his lovey and it's packed in the suitcase!

pack an emergency snack for you too. That early you are bound to get hungry and with only 45 minutes between flights you will not have time to stop and get some food between flights. I always bring some food for me too because hungry mommy isn't fun either!

good luck and try not to worry, I stressed about our first flight and it all went fine!

MissGore
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I never think about the discount! i'm always just in a hurry when i go anywhere.

Quoting twinkersmom:

Oh girl! Show that id! A lot of times I have had businesses tell me "oh, you're military! You get a discount!". I would rather they tell me than to ask for one.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)