Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

We are headed to Ansbach, Germany and Seeking any Advice or Tips

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:44 PM
  • 18 Replies

My DH recently received orders to Germany. Is there anyone that has been there in the past or is currently stationed there that would be willing to share any tips or advice. Everyone keeps saying we will love it there. I am working like crazy, trying to save money before the big move and I was not available to attend the Briefing.

Some questions I have:

1) How early did you all have transportation pick up household goods and POV.

2) What are some of the larger household appliances that can not be used in Germany?

3) Any idea on what housing is like for a family of 5? (DH rank is E5)

4) Do you or did you live on post or off post.

Thanks for any help.

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Good luck mama. No experience.
Arib107
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Heyy im moving to Wiesbaden Germany in 4 weeks!
I can kinda help because I'm going through all this now ,
1) Are his orders concurrent , so you guys can leave when he leaves??
2) idk really, I know that if you live on base they have regular outlets and foreign outlets.
3)no clue... not yet at least!
4) our plan is to live on post! but I heard living on the economy is nice also.
vintage-misha
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:01 AM

1) How early did you all have transportation pick up household goods and POV. We shipped our car the day before we left and it took a month to get to Ramstein. 

2) What are some of the larger household appliances that can not be used in Germany? You won't need to bring a washer and dryer, they are provided by FMO to you. Anything that isn't duel voltage will require a transformer and that increases your eletric bill. I would leave whatever is not duel voltage. 

3) Any idea on what housing is like for a family of 5? (DH rank is E5) I'm not sure for that area. 

4) Do you or did you live on post or off post. We live on base but we are moving off base soon. 

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:40 AM

No idea on Ansbach, we are at Ktown. Basically what Misha said. My husband is an E5, we are only 4 though. Not sure housing on Ansbach, but in K town on Vogelweh, you would qualify for a town house, depending on age and sex of children you can swing a 3 bedroom walk up. Honestly on Vogelweh the walk ups are nice. My car took a month and a half to get here though, we shipped it the Friday before we left, we left Monday.

You will take your car to the shipping port. Make sure it is clean, like just bought from the dealer clean. Including the engine. I myself wouldn't live offbase, I have heard too many people get screwed on utilites and when they clear. But everyone is different, and there are some that have no problem. Off base in another country just isn't my thing!

sahmw2010
by Beth on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:23 AM
I only visited DH there, though really wanting to go back and be stationed there again, but the voltage there is dofferent than here. If your stuff isnt duel voltage you wont be able to use it. Amything that is duel, u will need an adapter for the plugs. Dont forget currency is different, so if u go off post, it will be more expensive for things. There was an allowance fo r gas, tobacco and alcohol a month.
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:48 AM

The rations for tobacco and alchol is only if you purchase on base! OP you do get a COLA which is cost of living allowance, which helps with the crappy exchange rate.

Quoting sahmw2010:

I only visited DH there, though really wanting to go back and be stationed there again, but the voltage there is dofferent than here. If your stuff isnt duel voltage you wont be able to use it. Amything that is duel, u will need an adapter for the plugs. Dont forget currency is different, so if u go off post, it will be more expensive for things. There was an allowance fo r gas, tobacco and alcohol a month.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Sorry yes, meant to say that. In my mind I did, guess it didnt get types too. Lol

Quoting barrelracer1699:

The rations for tobacco and alchol is only if you purchase on base! OP you do get a COLA which is cost of living allowance, which helps with the crappy exchange rate.

Quoting sahmw2010:

socialworker227
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I appreciate all the feedback. I am still waiting on my medical records to get to EFMP so that we can all get screened. We are supposed to meet with them this week. As soon as that is done, the kids and I will be able to be added to the orders and be placed on the same flight as my DH. I feel so overwhelmed whenever it is time to PCS.

Arib107
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Do you guys have your official passport yet?

Quoting socialworker227:

I appreciate all the feedback. I am still waiting on my medical records to get to EFMP so that we can all get screened. We are supposed to meet with them this week. As soon as that is done, the kids and I will be able to be added to the orders and be placed on the same flight as my DH. I feel so overwhelmed whenever it is time to PCS.

cocoroo
by Coco on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM

When is the report date?  My dh has orders for next summer and we are already starting everything. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)