Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Unemployment is a ridiculous waste of time ETA w/ states that will allow military spouse unemployment benefits

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't even know why I bothered at this point. For once I'm not going to rant about Oklahoma, I'm ranting about Washington.

My official last day before we PCS'd was 8/23/13, although I went back and helped out on 8/26 while the packers were packing up our house because they were in a real bind with staffing. I applied for unemployment as soon as I got home from work on 8/23. Big mistake, apparently. They initally denied me, (as I knew they would), because I voluntarily quit, however they accepted my appeal on the basis of being a military spouse and moved against my will. Great, right? This is where the debaucle begins. They denied me the week of 8/26 because I wasn't available and able to work every day because we were packing and cleaning, even thought I applied for 3 jobs as required. They denied me the week of 9/2 because we were on the road Mon-Wed and I wasn't available and able to work every day that week, even though I applied for 3 jobs as required. They approved me for the week of 9/9, BUT apparently they don't actually pay you for the first week you are eligible, it's called a holding week or something, so I won't see a dime for that week.  I may, possibly, actually see a payment sometime this week for the last week 9/16, but I interviewed and was offered a job last Wednesday, which doesn't start until 9/30. So, unless I go out and apply for three more jobs, (which I won't accept and is a huge waste of time because I already accepted one), I won't get paid for this week, 9/23. 

So, out of four, (five next week), current weeks of acceptance, I may actually see one unemployment check. Good on ya Washington State. Grumble grumble grumble. 

ETA: 45 states currently grant unemployment benefits to a military spouse when dislocated from a job due to a PCS. 21 grant automatically, the others you have to file an appeal, but they will grant it once you do. The following states are exceptions and WILL NOT grant you benefits:

Idaho

North Dakota

Vermont

Louisiana

Ohio

Virginia

Source: http://www.militaryfamily.org/get-info/spouse-employment/unemployment-compensation.html

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM

You can't even apply in some states...

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Yep. Just what I was thinking as I read this. I had no idea there were actually places you could apply to be honest. Learn something new every day.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
But at least you have a job....there are plenty of folks out there who can't get hired at all let alone collect unemployment. :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
There are also plenty of jobs out there that people don't want to do or be trained to do. Everyone seems to want to start out at the top and not really work.

Quoting Anonymous:

But at least you have a job....there are plenty of folks out there who can't get hired at all let alone collect unemployment. :/

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Bullshit... 

Quoting Anonymous:

There are also plenty of jobs out there that people don't want to do or be trained to do. Everyone seems to want to start out at the top and not really work.

Quoting Anonymous:

Katkinson
by Kristin on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM

When my enlistment was up, I dealt with the same situation.  I think I collected for a month then it was such a hassle we said never mind. .. I was out 3 or so months before DH transferred to Ga anyway. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Yeah..........not really my problem, but whatever.

Quoting Anonymous:

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

42 out of 50 states will allow military spouses to collect unemployment when dislocated due to PCS orders. 21 will give it automatically, the other 21 will grant you benefits after an appeal.

ETA: Sorry, bad source at first. 45 states will allow spousal unemployment for PCS.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Yep. Just what I was thinking as I read this. I had no idea there were actually places you could apply to be honest. Learn something new every day.

Quoting jas_momof2:

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM
3 moms liked this

Exactly! What are you supposed to do about all the folks out there who can't get hired? If you feel bad enough for them, are they going to land their dream job? LOL

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Yeah..........not really my problem, but whatever.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Lookup profoundly disconnected. That's just the beginning.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Bullshit... 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)