Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

S/O spouse being gone

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM
  • 39 Replies
While most of us can handle it no problem, does your DH ever try to make you go home, or think you CAN'T handle it?

We just found out that my husband will most likely be leaving very shortly after we get to our new duty station, and his first comment to me was "why don't you go home?" Uhh. Lol. I don't want to? I like my own space.

I get that he was just trying to be helpful and make sure I'm happy, I was just surprised that he suggested it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:54 PM

My husband knows I like my own space and can get antisocial. He doesn't push me at all but always makes sure I know he wouldn't think less of me if I did go home. We go to visit for chunks of time in the summer if he is gone. My husband pretty much thinks I can do anything alone, which sometimes can suck.

Katkinson
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I know i visit home more when he's gone. 

DH just wants me to be happy, and it sounds like that's what yours wants as well. 

I have school aged kids, so heading home for the remainder of his deployment isn't really feasible.  even if it was, I'm with you.  I like to be in my own home. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM
My husband doesnt. He knows i like to explore so he always ask what i plan on exploring while hea gone. I tell him it depends on how much money i have as to where we will go and for how long. He always tells me toake sure i add in the hazard pay for extra spending money. I never do. What money of mine i save up is what i use. I tell him as much but he always insists. So i pull out the extra pay and put it ina savings account and when he gets home then we use it for either something that we need or we use the money saved for a nice trip for all of us.
cocoroo
by Coco on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I would never go "home".  Honestly, there is no where for me to go even if I wanted to.  

usmclife58
by Nikki on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. My husband knows better than that.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm a grown 43 year old woman. My home with my husband IS "home". There is nowhere else to go.
SierraLynn
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:27 PM
No.
mlogsdon
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM
That's what surprised me the most, actually. What he meant by "home" was with his nana and papaw. I love them to pieces, we stay with them on leave, but it's definitely not home.

Quoting cocoroo:

I would never go "home".  Honestly, there is no where for me to go even if I wanted to.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM
I think it's because I would know literally no one, and it'll be the first deployment with a child in the picture. But it's only 3 hours from his family, and it's not difficult for me to get out and meet new people. I don't believe I give the impression that I need taking care of, I've always been pretty independent. So for him to suggest that I NOT have my own home, and instead stay with family, really came as a shock. He's never suggested it before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Nope, hubby was actually against me leaving to go back home when his second deployment came up. I only had one good friend there and felt I needed something more from family while he was gone..., boy was that a big mistake.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN