Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

15 female Marines report for enlisted infantry training

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM
  • 7 Replies

QUANTICO, VA. — Fifteen female Marines began enlisted infantry training this week as part of the Marine Corps’ ongoing research into which additional jobs it should open to female personnel, officials said.

The women will attend the Infantry Training Battalion course at Camp Geiger, N.C., on an experimental basis, focusing on the 0311 infantry rifleman program of instruction after the first few weeks of training, said Leon Pappa, a retired lieutenant colonel with Training and Education Command who oversees the research. They will not receive the 0311 military occupational specialty if they graduate, but Marine officials will note it in their record for tracking purposes.

“We’re not changing the standards on how we track performance,” Pappa told reporters in a meeting here Wednesday. “We’re doing it the same way we do it for the males.”

The research at ITB is the newest part of the Corps’ assessment of which jobs should be open to women. It came after then-Defense Secretary Leon Panetta overturned the longstanding policy excluding women from serving in direct combat assignments last year.

The research is similar to work that began here last year at the Infantry Officer Course. Female volunteers have been allowed to try the grueling course, but none has passed. The next version of IOC begins next week, and the Corps expects four female volunteers to participate, Pappa said.

The women who will attend enlisted infantry training at Camp Geiger come straight from boot camp graduation at Parris Island, S.C., Pappa said. Some 114 women graduated there earlier this month. Of those, 42 met physical requirements to go to ITB, he said. Nineteen volunteered, but the number had dropped to 15 as of this week. The women are allowed to drop out at any point and move on to their planned military career.

by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I thought the red parts were interesting. I wonder if any women will pass the enlisted infantry training, as none have passed the officers training. Although I suppose like the last line indicates they can drop out at any time.  Interesting..

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM
I never understood why women weren't in infantry so I like this
sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Good to read and see that things are changing for women. Maybe by the time my daughters are able to join the military they will be allowed into these positions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by Ashley on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM
4 moms liked this

I love the Corps for not changing standard but giving them a shot. 

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Seeing statistics would be against me, I honestly wouldn't even try. All I could get out of this is a training related injury that could hurt my career. Who ever wishes to try, I applaud you.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Good luck to them.  

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I wish them the best!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)