Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Backup birth plans

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:43 PM
  • 15 Replies

So I've got about 3 weeks until ds is born and I seem to be running into some issues w/ who is going to watch our dd(3) and how I'm even going to get to the hospital. Originally my dad was supposed to fly out and stay w/ dd but something has come up w/ his work and he's not going to make it in time. Our neighbor offered to watch dd but that's only going to work if she's home and although I have her phone number if she's too far away to get home right away I'm going to need another plan. Which also leaves my problem of how I'm getting to the hospital, we only have 1 car & dh takes it to work everyday and lately has been rucking several miles out for training, he most likely won't get my call if I need him and it'll take him a long time to get back to the car & then get home to me. I'm seriously just considering calling an ambulance if I can't get ahold of anyone in time...anyone run into this problem?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM
I had sort of the same problem before I had my dd last year. My in laws weren't there yet and I was at a state where I could go into labor at anytime before my induction. So my husband asked his chain if he could stay closer to troop instead of heading to the field the closer it got to my induction date. They agreed and let him stay there unless they truly needed him for something.
JMCorbin84
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Ya sadly my dh is a troop leader for most of the guys and the only one the officers trust to keep the lower enlisted in line and keep them from hurting themselves during training. I'm tempted to start insisting that dh start car pooling w/ someone or I'll drive him back to work after b-fast so I have the car, I really hate having to depend on someone else for something so important and a 30 minute ride in a taxi is a little more expensive than I wanna spend, lol.

Quoting SierraLynn:

I had sort of the same problem before I had my dd last year. My in laws weren't there yet and I was at a state where I could go into labor at anytime before my induction. So my husband asked his chain if he could stay closer to troop instead of heading to the field the closer it got to my induction date. They agreed and let him stay there unless they truly needed him for something.

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Never had that problem but I hope it works out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:39 PM
When our backup plans failed...dh just missed the actual birth.

It sounds bad but he was there up until push time. He took dd out into the hall and then as soon as the head was out a nurse went out and stayed with dd and dh came in to see our ds grand debut and cut the cord.
AnnaMess
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM

With my second child I just called the ambulance. Both my parents were at work so I really didn't have anyone to care for my 2yr old. She came with me and a nurse stayed with her until someone could get there to watch her. I would deffinitely look into it just in case something happens when you go into labor

Pagan_Mommy84
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I haven't...but if you have to call an ambulance, do it.  Hopefully your neighbor will be able to watch your DD and everything will go smoothly for you

JMCorbin84
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I think for emergency situations like this every hospital should have a 24/hr daycare room just in case. 

Quoting Anonymous:

When our backup plans failed...dh just missed the actual birth.

It sounds bad but he was there up until push time. He took dd out into the hall and then as soon as the head was out a nurse went out and stayed with dd and dh came in to see our ds grand debut and cut the cord.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Start interviewing sitters now. I'm a family childcare provider and have been the back up plan in case of situations like this a few times. I would insist on driving DH to and from work the 2 weeks before your due date.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Never had that issue...good luck though.

Katkinson
by Kristin on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:15 AM

I was worried about this, so I created a plan a, b, c, and d.  I have backups for my backups to watch my kids.  DH will be gone, so I dont' have to worry about him "missing" the birth, i already know he will. 

As far as the car thing, can you pick him up and drop him off so you have a vehicle?

I'd also keep your neighbor posted.  Invite her over for coffee and explain what happened with your dad.  Don't be afraid to ask for help!  Tell her you appreciate it, if she's better informed, she'll make herself available ( or should anyway-- I know I would) or kind of hang around if it's getting "down to the wire". 

Good luck and I HTH! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)