Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Will Child Development Centers stay open during a shutdown?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

Does anyone know?

I asked the staff this morning, and they simply looked at me like I have two heads. So I am assuming that means they will?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM

yes, they are NAF appropriations and will be considered "essential" , however you could see a reduction in staff or a change in hours. but only if the shut down happens for more than a couple of weeks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Actually a lot of CDC employees are GS not NAF and they cannot just "reduce staff" because of the military's strict child to staff ratios. A chance of reduced operating hours is definitely a possibility though. The military does not profit from CDCs. I would not be surprised if they all get closed down eventually.

Quoting gunsgirl:

yes, they are NAF appropriations and will be considered "essential" , however you could see a reduction in staff or a change in hours. but only if the shut down happens for more than a couple of weeks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Naw. CDCs and the School Age Centers are always open!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 27, 2013 at 4:47 AM

No idea.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:32 AM

I stand correted on the funding, but here there is talk of reducing classroom size - this being able to reduce staff.

so if a class can have 12 with 2 instead of 18 with 3, they can cut out 6 kids and lay off 1 staff member.

last this week the CDC here said they will not be accepting any new children until the decison is made for the shut down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)