Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Any suggestions?

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM
  • 28 Replies

For keeping a two year old entertained during our cross country move? DH and I will both be driving our own vehicles, and we can't really stop every hour. Our last move, he was only 4 months old, so he slept a lot. Not the case now ;-) We will have several very long days of driving to get through. 

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM

do either of you have an ipad or a type of tablet? they have toddler apps.

i would say a coloring book, but i really dont remember if 2yos still try to eat the crayons. lol. lots of snacks.change out toys at every stop so he doesnt get TOO bored of them.

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM

We just did this when moving from VA to Hawaii. Lucky for us, our 2 year old falls asleep if he's in the car long enough. We just brought enough books and stuffed animals to keep him busy. Our kid loves riding in the car so for us it was a pretty easy and smooth trip.

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM
A movie player? That's all I got. I have so many kids now that they entertain each other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM
He didn't mind before. But now anything over 2 hours has him screaming lol. I'm hoping he gets into the groove and sleeps, too. I would if I weren't driving lol.

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

We just did this when moving from VA to Hawaii. Lucky for us, our 2 year old falls asleep if he's in the car long enough. We just brought enough books and stuffed animals to keep him busy. Our kid loves riding in the car so for us it was a pretty easy and smooth trip.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Haha I dont know about other two year olds, but this one definitely still eats the crayons. I had thought of an activity tray, but anything I thought of for him to do needs supervision lol. I'm going to have to have a giant stockpile of toys. I do have an iPad, but I see that being thrown lol

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

do either of you have an ipad or a type of tablet? they have toddler apps.

i would say a coloring book, but i really dont remember if 2yos still try to eat the crayons. lol. lots of snacks.change out toys at every stop so he doesnt get TOO bored of them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM
That's what I did growing up. There were 4 of us, so there was always something going on.

Movie player might be a good idea. Thanks!

Quoting adrianna1043:

A movie player? That's all I got. I have so many kids now that they entertain each other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM

My daughter was 4 the last time we moved (and the baby was 7 months) but I used a portable DVD player with 2 new movies, but didn't pull them out till she was REALLY done traveling and getting bored.  I also had a reusable grocery bag for each of them full of toys and books.  When the baby would get bored with one, I would had her a new one.  I also had a bag full of snacks and drinks, food always seemed to make them happy and distract them from boredom.  Also, a CD with kids sing-along songs.  They both loved that.

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Get one of those DVD players that hangs from your seat.  They can watch and you control the movie :)

firemom702
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:18 PM
We are getting ready to do this with a 4yr old and 2yr old, oh and an 80lb dog. I'm so not excited about it.
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this
That is a good and bad thing. At times to the untrained ear it sounds like murders are happening. If someone takes someone else's Lego, all hell breaks loose.

Quoting mlogsdon:

That's what I did growing up. There were 4 of us, so there was always something going on.

Movie player might be a good idea. Thanks!

Quoting adrianna1043:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)