Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

darn it. (OT)

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM
  • 22 Replies

There's a kid striving for negative attention in my son's class. He's told me about this kid 3 different times now. He's been caught pulling a little girl's hair. Lying to the teacher. He told the teacher my son pinched his arm (Max swears he didn't do it and it sounds like he talked to the teacher and with this kid's prior acts she believed my son), and he asked my son if he wanted to make a KNIFE. I don't know what in the world they were doing during this time, but Max said Mrs. W heard and asked him to repeat himself and he changed the word from knife to something else but Max looked at me and said, "He changed the word mom. He said something different!"  Max has open house on Wednesday so I'll be talking with his teacher just to be sure my son's stories are accurate and that he hasn't picked up a new habit, but also to talk with her about the classroom behavior and make sure my son is behaving well. Anyway, I told Max that he didn't need to be friends with him because if he's trying to get Max into trouble (for example telling Mrs. W that Max pinched his arm) then he's not a good friend.

These kids are in KINDERGARTEN. I didn't think I would need to worry about this kind of thing yet! After talking with Max tonight about a few of the incidents he told me about, we had a little discussion on lying and the importance of telling the truth and being respectful. So sad. The good news is that he doesn't sit directly next to this kid I don't think. At least he wasn't next to him when I was in his classroom and K Orientation. And I think he's told me that he doesn't sit next to him. We'll see. 

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Oh, and I freaked out a little bit and turned all mother-madness on him and was like, "KNIVES ARE NOT FUNNY! KNIVES ARE VERY VERY DANGEROUS DON'T EVER TOUCH THEM THEY'RE VERY SHARP AND THEY HURT PEOPLE!" haha I might have scared him a little at my reaction. But still. Wanna make a knife? IN KINDERGARTEN.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:50 AM
1 mom liked this

How sad.  Although I wouldn't go into too much detail with the teacher at open house, rather I'd ask her to set up a meeting ASAP to discuss this.  Open House will be chaotic with lots of other parents and children there, and teachers are bound by privacy laws so she probably won't discuss much with you during that time since other parents are in the room.  Just a thought and I wanted to point that out.  Good luck!

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:30 AM

This would be my suggestion, too.  Kindergarten is a lot different than when we went :(

Quoting darbyakeep45:

How sad.  Although I wouldn't go into too much detail with the teacher at open house, rather I'd ask her to set up a meeting ASAP to discuss this.  Open House will be chaotic with lots of other parents and children there, and teachers are bound by privacy laws so she probably won't discuss much with you during that time since other parents are in the room.  Just a thought and I wanted to point that out.  Good luck!

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this

thanks. I didn't even think of that. We already have conferences set up, but those are right before Thanksgiving so I might see if I can squeeze in before that.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Katkinson
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I hear you. . DS is in 1st grade.  Last year a kid in his class was sent to the principal's office AT LEAST once a month.  In Kindergarten!!!!  WTH?

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

thanks. I didn't even think of that. We already have conferences set up, but those are right before Thanksgiving so I might see if I can squeeze in before that.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I understand SOME moments of outrage or throwing a block or stepping on someone's fingers but once a month? Ahh! Our future is doomed. (snort) So sad.

Quoting Katkinson:

I hear you. . DS is in 1st grade.  Last year a kid in his class was sent to the principal's office AT LEAST once a month.  In Kindergarten!!!!  WTH?

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Katkinson
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:55 AM

I know!!  My kid is no saint, but I'd be alarmed if he even went to the principal's office even a few times at this age!!!

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

I understand SOME moments of outrage or throwing a block or stepping on someone's fingers but once a month? Ahh! Our future is doomed. (snort) So sad.

Quoting Katkinson:

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM

exactly!

Quoting Katkinson:

I know!!  My kid is no saint, but I'd be alarmed if he even went to the principal's office even a few times at this age!!!

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

Quoting Katkinson:

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

krys1025
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Sadly I worked in Kindegarten and there were a couple of kids in the class that acted up pretty bad. They spent alot of time in the principals office. And let me tell you the little girls can be so cruel and catty with their friends at that age.
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM

that's so sad! It's not like life gets any easier, why can't even just KINDERGARTEN be full of fun...and innocence.

Quoting krys1025:

Sadly I worked in Kindegarten and there were a couple of kids in the class that acted up pretty bad. They spent alot of time in the principals office. And let me tell you the little girls can be so cruel and catty with their friends at that age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN