Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Sorry, another Gov't shut down question

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM
  • 5 Replies
I know TA has been stopped during the shut down, but i have not heard about the GI Bill. I was already scheduled for this upcoming term, but i dont even know if it has been paid for yet. I have tried calling both the school an VA but the phones must be off the hook. Lol. So does anyone know if the GI Bill has been affected?
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I'm not sure but here's a bump for you.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this

How a Shutdown Impacts the GI Bill

April 8, 2011 at 1:53pm

We understand you have many questions during this time of uncertainty. We wanted to make sure we were able to give you a reasonable explanation before posting anything about a potential government shutdown. We hope the following information addresses your concerns.  

If the Federal government shuts down and we are furloughed, services related to all GI Bill education benefit programs will be impacted as follows:

• The GI Bill information line (1-888-GIBILL-1) will be suspended;
  • Maintenance, including updates, announcements and modifications, to the GI Bill website (gibill.va.gov) and Facebook page (facebook.com/gibilleducation) will be suspended;
  • Work will not be completed on any new application or any enrollment certification received during a shutdown. We will not process payments for any education benefit program, including the Post-9/11 GI Bill, if your school certifies your enrollment to us during a shutdown;
  • Only applications and enrollment certifications received and completed before a shutdown will be paid. You will still receive your living allowance through the end of your most recently certified period of enrollment.

If there is a shutdown and we are furloughed, we will be unable to post any information until we are reinstated. We promise to update you as soon as we can!

For more information please see our Veterans Field Guide at the link below.

LINK: http://www.va.gov/FieldGuide_Flyer_Final_6261.pdf

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

no not at this time, but it will not get paid for until you actually start school. as long as the debt ceiling issue is resovled the VA will remain uneffected.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Thank you ladies!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Good question.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN