Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Are you involved...OT

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:10 AM
  • 22 Replies

Are you involved with your child's school?  Do you volunteer with their classroom or the PTA/PTO?  

My son goes to a small school with only 100 medically fragile special needs children ages 2-6.  I'm the PTA President this year.  Last year I was the PTA Secretary and the year before that I was just a PTA member.  It is a lot of work, even with just a smaller amount of people.  We have 6 people (including myself) on our PTA board which is wonderful, but none of them are reliable except the Treasurer.  It makes things difficult when planning and getting stuff done.  But it's all volunteer so if people don't put in the effort there's nothing I can do about it.  Although, it's slightly annoying at times because I think to myself, "Why volunteer to do something if you aren't going to do the work?"

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
omerciful1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:14 AM

I did for years and enjoyed it. I was the VP for several years. We worked our butts off to get things done and had a lot of fun doing it. Since we have moved I haven't had the opportunity to get back into it, and I kinda miss it.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:17 AM

I enjoy it as well.  It's awesome to get to do stuff for all these kids.  We got a TON of school supplies & toys for the beginning of the year...each teacher got a huge bin of art and class supplies, and we got some ride on toys and balls for the physical therapists at the school.  All the staff were so delighted to get everything...their budget is very small, so they end up spending a lot of their own personal money for things.  

Quoting omerciful1:

I did for years and enjoyed it. I was the VP for several years. We worked our butts off to get things done and had a lot of fun doing it. Since we have moved I haven't had the opportunity to get back into it, and I kinda miss it.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:59 AM
I receive PTA emails and am "in the loop" but right now i have not attended any meetings or activities because it is at the same time the kids have a game. My sons school has MOPS every 2nd thursday at 10 am and child care is available, so I attend that. I am hoping to be able to attend a PTA meeting after football is done
JMmama
by Kara on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM
2 moms liked this
Not really. I don't have time to be a part of the PTA in any official capacity but I do volunteer in their classroom to the best of my ability.
TippyD
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM
2 moms liked this

very involved.. we homeschool;)

SierraLynn
by Just Me on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Not really.
sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM
I go to as many meetings as I can and wd try to do their special fundraisers during the year.. not just the big fundraiser.. the other night they had a blues band come and have a concert for everyone. The proceeds from that went to the music department. The school is working on trying to buy new playground equipment so they did their big fundraiser a few weeks ago then they have different nights of the month where if you go a buy something from a local store that store will give 20% or more of that nights money to the school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by Mary on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM
My son is still too young for school, but that's my plan for when he goes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
violinjewel
by Julia on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM
This!

Quoting TippyD:

very involved.. we homeschool;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I love helping out in the classroom. Last year her first grade teacher was sad when we moved lol. I would sharpen pencils, laminate papers, cut out the laminated papers or cut what she needed and just other things she asked me to help with.

This year I haven't helped out yet because you have to go to a class before you can go on field trips or even step foot in the classroom. Plus I'm pregnant and the morning sickness is kicking my ass. Past schools would send out forms for PTA but they haven't done that here.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)