Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The commissary should

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:06 AM
  • 17 Replies

Donate all perishable food to food pantries and soup kitchens, or to DoD civilians who are furloughed and not getting paychecks. It would be a travesty to let it spoil when it could feed the people most affected by the shutdown.

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JMmama
by Kara on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM
I would be surprised if there was much, if anything, left. Our commissary didn't put more meat out. They just sold what they had out, the rest is in the freezer. I would bet the produce sold fairly quickly too. I know our store was packed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM

There wouldn't be any perishables left to give out from my commy. You would think there is no place else to shop the way people acted around here.

B1Bomber
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Quoting JMmama:

I would be surprised if there was much, if anything, left. Our commissary didn't put more meat out. They just sold what they had out, the rest is in the freezer. I would bet the produce sold fairly quickly too. I know our store was packed.

Meat and produce got snatched up pretty quickly, but there are lots of things that go bad pretty quickly - milk, eggs, yogurt, deli meats and cheeses, everything in the bakery/prepared food section, etc.

Besides, even if it's only enough to feed ten people...isn't feeding ten people better than throwing away food?

TippyD
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I like this:)

sahmw2010
by Beth on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Whatever perishables are left, not just meats, i agree should be donates to families who have been furloughed
B1Bomber
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I'm sure someone will have a "good" reason for why we can't do this, but I can't think of any.

I wonder if I can reach someone at our base that could help me out on this...

Quoting sahmw2010:

Whatever perishables are left, not just meats, i agree should be donates to families who have been furloughed

cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Good idea, but they won't.  They will just throw it away.  We have a very wasteful govt and society as a whole :(

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Yep.

Quoting cocoroo:

Good idea, but they won't.  They will just throw it away.  We have a very wasteful govt and society as a whole :(

mlogsdon
by Mary on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM
It's sad.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Yep.

Quoting cocoroo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
violinjewel
by Julia on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Quoting mlogsdon:

It's sad.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Yep.

Quoting cocoroo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)