Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

World War II Vets Refuse to Let Government Shutdown Stop Them From Seeing Memorial

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM
  • 7 Replies

World War II Vets Refuse to Let Government Shutdown Stop Them From Seeing Memorial

by Jenny Erikson 

Because politics are sometimes often petty, the government shutdown has forced the closure of national parks and monuments. Including the World War II Monument on the D.C. National Mall. The one that was visited yesterday by 92 WWII veterans.

Proving that we won the war for a reason, these soldiers didn’t let a pesky thing like a barricade stop them. They were there to see the monument dedicated to their service to our country, and see it they did.

The veterans were participating in the Mississippi Gulf Coast Honor Flight, which was established in 2011 so WWII vets from around the country could fly, free of charge, to Washington to tour the monuments. Isn’t that an awesome way to honor our heroes?

Unfortunately, they were almost stopped by orders directly from the White House to close off the memorials, even though the police for the park aren’t affected by the government shutdown. Nice, huh?

Blocking off our national monuments is ridiculous and petty, especially when a group of war vets is being flown in specifically to see them. If you’ve ever done the tourist thing in D.C., you know that the park is, well, a park! It’s a lot of open space, and the monuments are mostly outdoor attractions. It probably cost more taxpayer dollars to put up barricades than to keep the Park Police, who are again not affected by the shutdown, on duty.

You’d think that the politicians would step slowly back from this childish temper tantrum of blocking off the monuments when the Honor Flight Veterans, members of the Greatest Generation and ever the adults in the room, basically pffffft’d in their faces and knocked aside the fences.

D.C.’s response, of course, was to put them back, even though hundreds more vets are expected to come through in the coming weeks. I’m kind of hoping they all make a break for it.

Do you think they should have stayed behind the lines?

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sahmw2010
by Beth on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:40 AM
They earned the right to knock down the barricade. Why the hell is it barricaded off in the first place?!
TippyD
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM

its a national park/monument... but I totally agree.. they earned the right to be there. 

Quoting sahmw2010:

They earned the right to knock down the barricade. Why the hell is it barricaded off in the first place?!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Yep.  They more than earned the right to be there.  That's ridiculous.

violinjewel
by Julia on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this
This is an once in a lifetime thing for them. Most won't be able to come back to see this monument again, it just isn't right to try and block them. My grandpa went a few months back, he won't be able to go back, he's 96. These guys are in their 90's, why deny a WWII veteran of seeing the memorial set up for them. Plus, the way I read it, they didn't knock anything down, congressman opened the barricades up and let them in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's what I don't get... Government shuts down because we have no money. But they have enough money to pay workers to barricade monuments and guard the barricades.... anyone else see the irony in this? Further more. Some one PLEASE explain to me how closing a marble statue is saving money? How is closing parks saving money? I get there are no rangers and workers. "Proceed at your own risk" but how is shutting down the Lincoln, the WWII, and other stone monuments that aren't moving, saving money? And PLEASE for the love of God don't tell me its the "maintenance and upkeep" of said monument. The LONGEST shut down was 21 days. Three weeks.... there can't be that much "upkeep" to rocks. These monuments do not belong to the government. They belong to the people. 

MommySally
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Good for them they fought and lost dear friends for this country, there should be no reason they can't be there national park or not it should belong to them.
soonergirl980
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

It's so stupid that it's barricaded in the first place. It's usually opened aired and unguarded. So they are using money to prevent people to go just to make it "worse".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)