Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Deployment Dinners

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

Hi.  Dh is in the Navy and recently left for a deployment.  I have two boys, ages 8 and 10.  I'm struggling with quick and easy dinner ideas for my family.  When Dh was home, I would make a big meal usually consisting of a meat, a veggie, and some other side, but there is not a lot of variety in our meals.  My boys would be happy living on spaghetti, pizza, mac and cheese, and chicken tenders (along with eating out), but I'd like to add a few different meals to our menu options.  We have family in the area and usually eat family dinners with them on the weekend.

My older son is allergic to peanuts and shellfish, and has a sensitivity to eggs, so breakfast casseroles are not an option (he can eat stuff like cakes and meatloaf with baked eggs; he just cannot eat scrambled eggs or a dish where egg is the main part of the meal).

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Why did you stop making normal meals? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Make the same foods when you husband was home just in smaller portions.
mlogsdon
by Mary on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM
I would just do the same thing you'd do when your husband is home... Just smaller quantities.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahmw2010
by Beth on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I think the years he was deployed i ended up eating out of the house and friends and families instead of hone. Maybe once a week i made supper at my house, and used left overs for lunches
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM

i actually make more well-rounded meals (more veggies/less meat) when dh is gone than when he's home. he HATES most vegetables and fish, so that's my opportunity to expose our boys to things he would never try. i've done everything from salmon cakes to Moroccan stew with parsnips and dried fruits.

we also have a lot of breakfast for dinner. i can't stand eggs, so that's primarily pancakes and waffles. i guess you could use an egg substitute to make those.

SierraLynn
by Just Me on Oct. 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM
This is what I do.

Quoting Anonymous:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I'm no help here. With DH gone I spend as little time at home as possible and spend a LOT of time over at family's homes or just do something super easy and quick for dinner, like the things you mentioned. Ziti and sausage, sandwiches, pizza, take out, a meat/veggie/side meal for the nights I do stay home and actually feel like making dinner...Most of the deployment though the baby wasn't on normal food and my son is only with me 3.5 days a week and those days are spent visiting my 3 families so the nights he wasnt home and DD was still eating baby food i just skipped dinner usually...

cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM
I make the same thing s whether my dh is home or not.
wagners7
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Keep everything the same=either smaller or leftovers for lunch then next day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)