Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Should the Redskins Change their Name?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM
  • 43 Replies

Poll

Question: Should the Redskins Change their Name?

Options:

yes

no

unsure

other (please explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

Being in VA, the Redskins are considered our "local" team. It seems most people here feel strongly that they should not change their name. I'm curious what people in other parts of the country think. Should the name be changed because it is offensive?

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsary
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM
What is a Redskin? A Native American??
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM
No.
sahmw2010
by Beth on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM
My high school is now just "the big reds" it was indians, with an Indian mascot. In order to be a mascot, u spent the summer with the indians and learned from them. How was that offensive? And correct me uf im wrong, but isnt the point if a team name/mascot to honor (think right word) that person, animal?
sahmw2010
by Beth on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM
And no, i dont think they should have to change name

Quoting sahmw2010:

My high school is now just "the big reds" it was indians, with an Indian mascot. In order to be a mascot, u spent the summer with the indians and learned from them. How was that offensive? And correct me uf im wrong, but isnt the point if a team name/mascot to honor (think right word) that person, animal?
SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Yes.

Quoting mrsary:

What is a Redskin? A Native American??

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Thanks for answering!

Quoting SierraLynn:

No.

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Integrating about your high school! So the local native Americans don't have a problem with your schools name the ?

Quoting sahmw2010:

sahmw2010
by Beth on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Yea, the local natives didnt have a problem, everyone else in society did. So they changed it.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Integrating about your high school! So the local native Americans don't have a problem with your schools name the ?

Quoting sahmw2010:

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Cool, thanks for sharing!

Quoting sahmw2010:

Yea, the local natives didnt have a problem, everyone else in society did. So they changed it.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting sahmw2010:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm on the fence. Wasn't the guy that picked that name outspoken racist that had to be told he better sign on black people or something? If the name started out as racist I think it's weird that it still stands after all these years.
We wouldn't name a team the n* and have a black person as the mascot now would we?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)