Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

My question about the shutdown and the upcoming possible default

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

I know they are restoring death benefits and have saved military pay.

But should we default that all stops, again. So would they then pass something to ensure those pays and benefits continue, i mean people are pretty pissed by this, I can't imagine what happens if they don't pay servicemembers who could go out and die while not earning a paycheck.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

So they look good?

So they look like they're doing something?

So they can avoid the real issues?

I don't know...

Katkinson
by Kristin on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I dunno, but they have less than 8 days to figure it out. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Quoting jas_momof2:

So they look good?

So they look like they're doing something?

So they can avoid the real issues?

I don't know...

huh?

i'm not asking why they would pass it; I'm asking will they pass something on the 17th because if not, won't this happen again when we default?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Dh was told all pay will stop as of the 17th if nothing is passed
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:06 PM

My husband's mid-month LES has already posted...normal paycheck amount including his special pays.

Katkinson
by Kristin on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Will they pass it before the 17?  WHO KNOWS!  My crystal ball is in the shop. 

No, this will not happen again.  This time it was only the THREAT of a partial paycheck.  Next time it's a for sure "no, you ain't getting paid ANYTHING".  ( If the debt ceiling isn't raised). 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

My husband's mid-month LES has already posted...normal paycheck amount including his special pays.

OK.

but novemer 1st isn't mid month, it is EOM and the default will happen after the 15th's paycheck.

My question is:
good that they paid the military and good that they are going to vote to reinstate death benefits but won't we be right back here with these people NOT being paid after the 15th, should we default.

so all this outrage won't be going anywhere if that is the case.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Quoting Katkinson:

No, this will not happen again.  This time it was only the THREAT of a partial paycheck.  Next time it's a for sure "no, you ain't getting paid ANYTHING".  ( If the debt ceiling isn't raised). 

so no backpay for pay loss? so lets say the debt default happens and we lose our november 1st check. but then lets say on november 4th they raise the celing after they see that the country is going down the economic shitter..would we then get backpay or are we out of the pay entirely before the 4th?

Katkinson
by Kristin on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I answered your question. . .

NO.  We will not be "right back here".  we were at least promised a partial paycheck for the 15, and we are getting all pays and allowances.  If the debt ceiling is reached and no resolution has been made, we are SOL on everything.  Entirely different scenario. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

OK.

but novemer 1st isn't mid month, it is EOM and the default will happen after the 15th's paycheck.

My question is:
good that they paid the military and good that they are going to vote to reinstate death benefits but won't we be right back here with these people NOT being paid after the 15th, should we default.

so all this outrage won't be going anywhere if that is the case.

Katkinson
by Kristin on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Military always gets back pay.  Not sure about civilians. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Katkinson:

so no backpay for pay loss? so lets say the debt default happens and we lose our november 1st check. but then lets say on november 4th they raise the celing after they see that the country is going down the economic shitter..would we then get backpay or are we out of the pay entirely before the 4th?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)